Continuity of composition of continuous functions

Mr Davis 97
I've learned that composition of continuous functions is continuous. ##\log x## and ##|x|## are continuous functions, but it seems that ##\log |x|## is not continuous. Is this the case?

Answers and Replies

I've learned that composition of continuous functions is continuous. ##\log x## and ##|x|## are continuous functions, but it seems that ##\log |x|## is not continuous. Is this the case?

Why is ##\log|x|## not continuous?

Mr Davis 97
Why is ##\log|x|## not continuous?
Because of the vertical asymptote at 0?

Because of the vertical asymptote at 0?

But how can you apply the theorem you just stated if ##\log(x)## isn't even defined at ##x = 0##? If you start with false assumptions, surely you will get wrong results.

Likes Mr Davis 97
zwierz
I've learned that composition of continuous functions is continuous
In this theorem you must also trace carefully domains of the functions. The exact formulation is as follows. Let ##X,Y,Z## be topological spaces and ##f:X\to Y,\quad g:Y\to Z## be continuous functions. Then the function ##g\circ f:X\to Z## is a continuous function.
In your case ##f(x)=|x|,\quad g(y)=\log y,\quad X=\mathbb{R}\backslash\{0\},\quad Y=\{y\in\mathbb{R}\mid y>0\},\quad Z=\mathbb{R}##

Likes member 587159
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member

But remember that the composition may not even be defined at some points, let alone be continuous. Try specifying the theorem a bit more carefully, as Zwierz , I think, suggested. EDIT: You may want to consider the inverse image of open/closed set is open/closed definition as well.

Last edited:
mathwonk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
as suggested above, it is crucial to have a complete and precise statement of a theorem, including hypotheses. in your case the theorem says roughly, if f is continuous at the point p, and if also g is continuous at (and defined on a neighborhood of) the point f(p), then gof is (defined on a neighborhood of and) continuous at the point p. try to see what the points p and f(p) are in your case that give a problem, if any.

Suggested for: Continuity of composition of continuous functions

Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views