1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuous bounded function - analysis

1. Jan 31, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Assume the theorem that a continuous bounded function on a closed interval is bounded and attains its bounds.
    Prove that if f: R -> R is continuous and tends to +[tex]\infty[/tex] as x tends to +/- [tex]\infty[/tex] then there exists an x0 in R such that f(x) [tex]\geq[/tex] f(x0) for all x in R.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I think I understand the basic idea behind this but I'm not sure that my proof is rigorous enough.

R is not closed or bounded, however as x tends to +/- infinity f(x) tends to infinity, so won't affect its minimum value (do I need to prove this? If so, how?)

So to consider the minimum value of f we can consider a closed bounded interval [a,b] a,b in R

By the assumed theorem, f is bounded on this interval and attains its bounds, so there exists an x0 in [a,b] such that f(x0) = inf f(x) in the interval [a,b]

By definition of an infimum we then know that f(x) [tex]\geq[/tex] f(x0) for all x in R.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2010 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

There is a fundamental problem with your proof. You have taken x0 such that [itex]f(x)\ge f(x_0)[/itex] in [a, b]. But [a, b] is just "some" interval. There is no reason to think that f does not have smaller values off [a,b]. Also notice that you have NOT used the fact that f goes to infinity.

But that's easily fixed. Take "a" to be any real number. Since f goes to infinity as x goes to either infinity or negative infinity, there exist a positive number, N, such that if x> N or x< -N, f(x)> f(a). NOW use your proof on the interval [-N, N].

4. Jan 31, 2010 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I have no idea what you even mean by that!

There is a fundamental problem with your proof. You have taken x0 such that [itex]f(x)\ge f(x_0)[/itex] in [a, b]. But [a, b] is just "some" interval. There is no reason to think that f does not have smaller values off [a,b]. Also notice that you have NOT used the fact that f goes to infinity.

But that's easily fixed. Take "a" to be any real number. Since f goes to infinity as x goes to either infinity or negative infinity, there exist a positive number, N, such that if x> N or x< -N, f(x)> f(a). NOW use your proof on the interval [-N, N].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?