Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuous functions in metric spaces

1. Mar 4, 2010 #1
    Hi guy's I know this is more of a homework question, I posted a similar thread earlier on but I think I ended up confusing myself.

I need to show that a function is continous between metric spaces. I'll post the question and what i've done any tips on moving forward would be great.

I have any metric spaces
    [itex] (X,\rho) [/itex]
    [itex](Y, \theta)[/itex]

And a metric space
    \bar\rho:X \times X \Rightarrow R_{0}^{+}, (x,y) \Rightarrow \frac{\rho(x,y)}{1+\rho(x,y)}.

I have got to show the following

Let [itex](Y, \theta)[/itex]
    be a metric space.
    Prove that.
    [itex] f : X \rightarrow Y [/itex]
    is continuous with respect to [itex]\bar\rho[/itex] if and only if it is continuous with respect to [itex]\rho[/itex]

I have been given that [itex] f : X \rightarrow Y [/itex]
    is continuous with respect to [itex](X,\rho)[/itex]

So I know that for some [itex]\delta[/itex] and [itex] \epsilon > 0[/itex]

[itex]{\rho}(z,b) < \delta \rightarrow \theta(f(z),f(b)) < \epsilon[/itex]

I need to show that for some[itex] \psi > 0[/itex] that

[itex]{\bar\rho}(x,a)<\psi \rightarrow \theta(f(x),f(a)) <\epsilon[/itex]

Can some one please show me how to go about finding [itex]\psi[/itex] ?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Fix a in X. To show continuity at a, given [itex]\epsilon>0[/itex], you need to find a number [itex]\psi(\epsilon)>0[/itex] such that

[itex]{\bar\rho}(x,a)=\frac{\rho(x,a)}{1+\rho(x,a)}<\psi(\epsilon) \Rightarrow \theta(f(x),f(a)) <\epsilon[/itex]

knowing that there exists a number [itex]\delta(\epsilon)>0[/itex] such that

[itex]{\rho}(x,a) < \delta(\epsilon) \Rightarrow \theta(f(x),f(a)) < \epsilon[/itex]

Notice that, just by algebra, we have that

[tex]\frac{\rho(x,a)}{1+\rho(x,a)}<\psi (\epsilon)\Leftrightarrow \rho(x,a)<\frac{\psi(\epsilon)}{1-\psi (\epsilon)}[/tex]

So, surely, if you can chose [tex]\psi(\epsilon)[/tex] such that

[tex]\frac{\psi(\epsilon)}{1-\psi (\epsilon)}<\delta(\epsilon)[/tex]

then you will have won, yes?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook