Continuous set of eigenvalues in matrix representation?

• Thread starter nomadreid
  • Start date
nomadreid
Gold Member

Main Question or Discussion Point

Let's see if I have this straight: Observables are represented by Hermitian operators, which can be, for some appropriate base, represented in matrix form with the eigenvalues forming the diagonal. Sounds nice until I consider observables with continuous spectra. How do you get something like that into matrix form?

Answers and Replies

vanhees71
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
The representation of operators in the eigenbasis is not a matrix, if there are continuous spectra. Then you have distributions. Take the position representation of the position operator in one-dimensional space. Its spectrum is entirely continous (entire ##\mathbb{R}##). It's position representation is
##X(x_1,x_2)=\langle x_1|\hat{x} x_2 \rangle=x_2 \delta(x_1-x_2).##
That's not a matrix but a distribution. The action of the operator on a vector in such a case is not given by a usual matrix-vector product but by a convolution integral. Of course, in position representation that's very simple
##\langle x|\hat{x} \psi \rangle=\int_{\mathbb{R}} \mathrm{d} x' X(x,x') \langle x'|\psi \rangle=\int_{\mathbb{R}} \mathrm{d} x' X(x,x') \psi(x')=x \psi(x)##
as it must be due to the direct evaluation
##\langle x|\hat{x} \psi \rangle = \langle \hat{x} x|\psi \rangle=x \langle x |\psi \rangle=x \psi(x).##

nomadreid
Gold Member
Thanks very much, vanhees71. That clears up my question completely. :)