Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuously Compounded Interest and Diving.

1. Sep 12, 2007 #1
    The intensity L(x) of ligh X feet beneath the surface of the ocean satisfies the differential equation:

dL/dx = -kL

As a diver, you know from experience that diving to 18 ft in the Caribbean Sea cuts the intensity in half. You cannot work without artificial light when the intensity falls below one-tenth of the surface value. About how deep can you expect to work without artificial light? We are learning compound interest and whatnot. So, the equation we manipulate is:

A = Ao(e^(rt))

A is probably a tenth of (-kL), which is the original surface value of the ocea. I somehow should use the ratio of 18ft cutting the intensity in half, but I'm not sure how.

o_O

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I was wondering what in the world "compound interest" had to do with "diving". I thought perhaps you had to take out a loan to pay for your diving equipment!

Yes, the "differential equation" dL/dx= -kL has solution L(x)= Ce-kx as you can see by differentiating that. That, of course, contains two unknow constants, C and k. If you've done "compound interest" problems that are similar, you probably know you can find C by looking at the "initial valule". Here, L(0)= Ce0= C and, since x is "depth", is the amount of light at the surface. You also know " diving to 18 ft in the Caribbean Sea cuts the intensity in half. " Okay, measuring x in feet, you now know that L(18)= Ce-18k= C/2. The C's cancel and you have e-18k= 1/2. You can solve that for k by taking logarithms: -18k= ln(1/2)= -ln(2) so k= ln(2)/18.
    Now L(x)= Ce-ln(2)x/18. You are told "cannot work without artificial light when the intensity falls below one-tenth of the surface value. " That is, when L(x)= C/10.
    Solve L(x)= Ce-ln(2)x/18= C/10 for x.

By the way, while e is convenient for derivatives, all exponentials are equivalent. From e-18k= 1/2, you can calculate that (e-k)18= 1/2 or e-k= (1/2)1/18. You could rewrite L(x)= Ce-kt as L(x)= C(1/2)t/18 instead.

4. Sep 12, 2007 #3
    Thank you!

:DDD

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?