Contraction map of geometric mean

In summary, the conversation discusses a mapping that uses a normalized conditional probability to calculate y(i) and x(i). The question is whether this mapping is a contraction mapping and if the equation has a unique solution. The conversation also mentions using a discount parameter to show the uniqueness of the solution.
rubinj
I have the following mapping (generalized geometric mean):

[tex]y(i)=exp\left[{\sum_j p(j|i)\log x(j)}\right]\\ ,\ i,j=1..N[/tex]

where p(j|i) is a normalized conditional probability.

my question is - is this a contraction mapping?

in other words, does the following equation have a unique solution:

[tex]x(i)=exp\left[{\sum_j p(j|i)\log x(j)}\right]\\ ,\ i,j=1..N[/tex]

thanks in advance,
rubin

Physics news on Phys.org
Would you specify what x(i) stands for & what p(i|j) is the probability of?
( Lokks familiar, though. if it's something like a Markov chain or transition of probability vectors, use the Brower's fixed point theorem to get a solution. The mapping may not be contractive.)

the p(i|j) does specify the transition in a Markov chain, and the x(i) stands for some 'value' function over the states. i know that a solution exists, but i'd like to show it's also unique. I think that for this aim, i must introduce some discount parameter [tex]0<\gamma<1[/tex]:

[tex]
x(i)=\gamma\exp\left[{\sum_j p(j|i)\log x(j)}\right]\\ ,\ i,j=1..N
[/tex]

can that be shown to have a unique solution ?

1. What is a contraction map of geometric mean?

A contraction map of geometric mean is a type of mathematical function that maps a set of points to a smaller set of points. This function is defined as taking the geometric mean of each pair of points in the set and then contracting the set towards the resulting point.

2. How is the geometric mean calculated?

The geometric mean is calculated by taking the nth root of the product of n numbers. For example, if we have the numbers 2, 4, and 8, the geometric mean would be the cube root of (2*4*8) = 4.

3. What is the purpose of using a contraction map of geometric mean?

The purpose of using a contraction map of geometric mean is to simplify a set of points while preserving some of its characteristics. This can be useful in various mathematical and scientific applications, such as data analysis and optimization problems.

4. How does a contraction map of geometric mean relate to fractals?

A contraction map of geometric mean can be used to generate fractal patterns by repeatedly applying the function to a set of points. This is because the function has the property of self-similarity, meaning that the resulting set of points will have a similar structure to the original set.

5. Are there any limitations to using a contraction map of geometric mean?

Yes, there are limitations to using a contraction map of geometric mean. For example, the function may not always converge to a single point, and the resulting set may not accurately represent the original set of points. Additionally, the function may not be applicable to all types of data sets.