Contraction of an asymmetric tensor?

In summary: It should be A^{\mu\nu} instead of B^{\nu\mu}. In summary, the conversation is about a statement regarding the contraction of a tensor with no symmetry properties. The person is questioning how the symmetric part of the tensor can vanish under contraction, and someone points out that the notes are inaccurate and provides a corrected version of the statement.
Dixanadu
Hey guys,

So in my notes I've got this statement written:

If tensor with no symmetry properties, [itex]A^{\mu\nu}[/itex], contracts to [itex]a_{\mu\nu}[/itex], we can write this as [itex]A^{\mu\nu}a_{\mu\nu}=\frac{1}{2}a_{\mu\nu}(A^{\mu\nu}-A^{\nu\mu})[/itex] as [itex]a_{\mu\nu} (A^{\mu\nu}+A^{\nu\mu}) = 0[/itex]. So I don't see how the symmetric part contracts to 0.

*Note* I do also have written that [itex]a^{\mu\nu}=-a^{\nu\mu}[/itex] but I am not sure if this is relevant.

I understand that you can decompose the tensor [itex]A^{\mu\nu}[/itex] into the sum of symmetric and anti-symmetric parts, but i don't see why the symmetric part vanishes under contraction.

If someone could explain I'd be very grateful - thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dixanadu said:
Hey guys,

So in my notes I've got this statement written:

If tensor with no symmetry properties, [itex]A^{\mu\nu}[/itex], contracts to [itex]a_{\mu\nu}[/itex], we can write this as [itex]A^{\mu\nu}a_{\mu\nu}=\frac{1}{2}a_{\mu\nu}(A^{\mu\nu}-B^{\nu\mu})[/itex] as [itex]a_{\mu\nu} (A^{\mu\nu}+A^{\nu\mu}) = 0[/itex]. So I don't see how the symmetric part contracts to 0.

*Note* I do also have written that [itex]a^{\mu\nu}=-a^{\nu\mu}[/itex] but I am not sure if this is relevant.

I understand that you can decompose the tensor [itex]A^{\mu\nu}[/itex] into the sum of symmetric and anti-symmetric parts, but i don't see why the symmetric part vanishes under contraction.

If someone could explain I'd be very grateful - thank you!
Your notes are inaccurate. What you tried to note down is probably:
If [itex]a^{\mu\nu}=-a^{\nu\mu}[/itex], then [itex]A^{\mu\nu}a_{\mu\nu}=\frac{1}{2}a_{\mu\nu}(A^{\mu\nu}-A^{\nu\mu})[/itex],
for any [itex]A^{\mu\nu}[/itex].

Whoops that B was meant to be an A -- error fixed! but what do you mean by inaccurate exactly? what part is wrong?

my2cts said:
Your notes are inaccurate. What you tried to note down is probably:
If [itex]a^{\mu\nu}=-a^{\nu\mu}[/itex], then [itex]A^{\mu\nu}a_{\mu\nu}=\frac{1}{2}a_{\mu\nu}(A^{\mu\nu}-A^{\nu\mu})[/itex],
for any [itex]A^{\mu\nu}[/itex].
Dixanadu said:
Whoops that B was meant to be an A -- error fixed! but what do you mean by inaccurate exactly? what part is wrong?
The part where you wrote B instead of A ?

Yes -- sorry about that!

1. What is the definition of a contraction of an asymmetric tensor?

A contraction of an asymmetric tensor is a mathematical operation in which one or more indices of the tensor are summed over, resulting in a new tensor with fewer indices. This operation is commonly used in tensor analysis to simplify expressions and solve problems in physics and engineering.

2. How is a contraction of an asymmetric tensor different from a contraction of a symmetric tensor?

A contraction of an asymmetric tensor differs from a contraction of a symmetric tensor in that the former results in a tensor with fewer indices, while the latter results in a scalar value. Additionally, the contraction of an asymmetric tensor can result in a non-zero value, while the contraction of a symmetric tensor always results in zero due to its symmetry properties.

3. What are some practical applications of contractions of asymmetric tensors?

Contractions of asymmetric tensors have many practical applications in fields such as mechanics, electromagnetics, and fluid dynamics. They are used to calculate stress and strain in materials, solve problems in general relativity, and analyze fluid flow in pipes and channels.

4. Can a contraction of an asymmetric tensor be visualized geometrically?

Yes, a contraction of an asymmetric tensor can be visualized geometrically as a transformation of the tensor's coordinate system. This transformation can be represented by a matrix, and the contraction operation can be understood as multiplying the original tensor by this transformation matrix.

5. Are there any special properties or rules that apply to contractions of asymmetric tensors?

Yes, there are several special properties and rules that apply to contractions of asymmetric tensors. For example, the order in which the indices are contracted does not matter, and the result is independent of the coordinate system chosen. Additionally, the contraction of an asymmetric tensor with its inverse results in the identity tensor.