1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Contraction of an asymmetric tensor?

1. Nov 11, 2014 #1
    Hey guys,

So in my notes ive got this statement written:

If tensor with no symmetry properties, [itex]A^{\mu\nu}[/itex], contracts to [itex]a_{\mu\nu}[/itex], we can write this as [itex]A^{\mu\nu}a_{\mu\nu}=\frac{1}{2}a_{\mu\nu}(A^{\mu\nu}-A^{\nu\mu})[/itex] as [itex]a_{\mu\nu} (A^{\mu\nu}+A^{\nu\mu}) = 0[/itex]. So I dont see how the symmetric part contracts to 0.

*Note* I do also have written that [itex]a^{\mu\nu}=-a^{\nu\mu}[/itex] but Im not sure if this is relevant.

I understand that you can decompose the tensor [itex]A^{\mu\nu}[/itex] into the sum of symmetric and anti-symmetric parts, but i dont see why the symmetric part vanishes under contraction.

If someone could explain I'd be very grateful - thank you!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2014 #2
    Your notes are inaccurate. What you tried to note down is probably:
    If [itex]a^{\mu\nu}=-a^{\nu\mu}[/itex], then [itex]A^{\mu\nu}a_{\mu\nu}=\frac{1}{2}a_{\mu\nu}(A^{\mu\nu}-A^{\nu\mu})[/itex],
    for any [itex]A^{\mu\nu}[/itex].

4. Nov 11, 2014 #3
    Whoops that B was meant to be an A -- error fixed! but what do you mean by inaccurate exactly? what part is wrong?

5. Nov 12, 2014 #4
    The part where you wrote B instead of A ?

6. Nov 12, 2014 #5
    Yes -- sorry about that!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook