Contrapositive of quantified statement

In summary, the two statements are technically equivalent, but the order of the quantifiers is different.
Mr Davis 97
I have the following statement: Let ##a,b \in \mathbb{R}##. If ##a \le b_1##, for every ##b_1 > b##, then ##a \le b##. I have put it into logical notation in the following way: ##\forall a,b, b_1 \in \mathbb{R} ((b_1 > b \rightarrow a \le b_1) \rightarrow a \le b)##. My question is, if I want to write this implication as its contrapositive, how would the quantifiers change and why?

Physics news on Phys.org
To see how to write the contrapositive, first write the statement formally, in prenex normal form, as follows:

$$\forall a \forall b \exists b1\left( (a\in\mathbb R\wedge b\in\mathbb R\wedge b1\in\mathbb R\wedge a\leq b1 \wedge b1 > b)
\to a\leq b \right) $$

Then, to make the contrapositive, swap the antecedent with the consequent, and negate them both. Do that inside the outer parenthesis, leaving the quantifiers unchanged (there are logical axiom justifying that, but it's probably too much detail to go into those).

Having done that, you can convert from prenex normal form back into a more prosy form that may seem more intuitive.

Last edited:
andrewkirk said:
To see how to write the contrapositive, first write the statement formally, in prenex normal form, as follows:

$$\forall a,b,b1\left( (a\in\mathbb R\wedge b\in\mathbb R\wedge b1\in\mathbb R\wedge a\leq b1 \wedge b1 > b)
\to a\leq b \right) $$

Then, to make the contrapositive, swap the antecedent with the consequent, and negate them both. Do that inside the outer parenthesis, leaving the quantifiers unchanged (there are logical axiom justifying that, but it's probably too much detail to go into those).

Having done that, you can convert from prenex normal form back into a more prosy form that may seem more intuitive.
##\forall a,b, b_1 \in \mathbb{R} (a>b \rightarrow (b_1>b \wedge a > b_1))##. Would this be the logically equivalent statement? What is it really saying?

Mr Davis 97 said:
##\forall a,b, b_1 \in \mathbb{R} (a>b \rightarrow (b_1>b \wedge a > b_1))##. Would this be the logically equivalent statement? What is it really saying?
No. You have negated the consequent correctly, but not the antecedent. You need to use de Morgan's laws when negating conjunctions.

Last edited:
Mr Davis 97 said:
I have the following statement: Let ##a,b \in \mathbb{R}##. If ##a \le b_1##, for every ##b_1 > b##, then ##a \le b##. I have put it into logical notation in the following way: ##\forall a,b, b_1 \in \mathbb{R} ((b_1 > b \rightarrow a \le b_1) \rightarrow a \le b)##.
Are you actually studying formal logic? Or are you only using concepts and notation from formal logic to express mathematical reasoning precisely in "natural language"?

I don't what syntax rules for formal logic you would use, but using correct syntax in a formal logic would produce something excruciating.

Let's take it for granted that all variables represent real numbers. The we have (using informal syntax):

##(\forall a) (\forall b) [ (\forall b_1)( (b_1 \gt b) \implies (a \le b_1)] \implies [a \le b]##

I want to write this implication as its contrapositive, how would the quantifiers change and why?
Which implication are you asking about?

Last edited by a moderator:
Stephen Tashi said:
Are you actually studying formal logic? Or are you only using concepts and notation from formal logic to express mathematical reasoning precisely in "natural language"?

I don't what syntax rules for formal logic you would use, but using correct syntax in a formal logic would produce something excruciating.

Let's take it for granted that all variables represent real numbers. The we have (using informal syntax):

##(\forall a) (\forall b) [ (\forall b_1)( (b_1 \gt b) \implies (a \le b_1)] \implies [a \le b]##

Which implication are you asking about?
I am talking about the outer implication. But given your post, I have an additional question. You wrote the statement as ##(\forall a) (\forall b) [ (\forall b_1)( (b_1 \gt b) \implies (a \le b_1)] \implies [a \le b]##, while I wrote it as ##\forall a,b, b_1 \in \mathbb{R} ((b_1 > b \rightarrow a \le b_1) \rightarrow a \le b)##. Could you explain why you chose to place the ##b_1## in a different place? Is mine wrong and yours right, or are they both technically right?

Mr Davis 97 said:
I am talking about the outer implication. But given your post, I have an additional question. You wrote the statement as ##(\forall a) (\forall b) [ (\forall b_1)( (b_1 \gt b) \implies (a \le b_1)] \implies [a \le b]##, while I wrote it as ##\forall a,b, b_1 \in \mathbb{R} ((b_1 > b \rightarrow a \le b_1) \rightarrow a \le b)##. Could you explain why you chose to place the ##b_1## in a different place? Is mine wrong and yours right, or are they both technically right?
Stephen's is correct. It says that if every number that is ##>b## is also ##\geq a## then ##a\leq b##.

Yours is not correct, which can be observed by noting that it is false for the counter-example ##a=3,b=2,B_1=4##, or indeed any case where ##b<a\leq b_1##.

Yours is in pre-nex normal form, meaning all quantifiers are at the front. To convert Stephen's into that form so we can make a like-with-like comparison, we need to follow the rules set out here.

That gives us (using the first rule in the 'Implication' section):
$$
\forall a\forall b \exists b_1 \in \mathbb{R} ((b_1 > b \rightarrow a \le b_1) \rightarrow a \le b)
$$
which we see is different from your version:
$$
\forall a \forall b\forall b_1 \in \mathbb{R} ((b_1 > b \rightarrow a \le b_1) \rightarrow a \le b)
$$

The linked article about pre-nex form tells you all that's needed about how quantifiers change as we move them from one place to another.

andrewkirk said:
Stephen's is correct. It says that if every number that is ##>b## is also ##\geq a## then ##a\leq b##.

Yours is not correct, which can be observed by noting that it is false for the counter-example ##a=3,b=2,B_1=4##, or indeed any case where ##b<a\leq b_1##.

Yours is in pre-nex normal form, meaning all quantifiers are at the front. To convert Stephen's into that form so we can make a like-with-like comparison, we need to follow the rules set out here.

That gives us (using the first rule in the 'Implication' section):
$$
\forall a\forall b \exists b_1 \in \mathbb{R} ((b_1 > b \rightarrow a \le b_1) \rightarrow a \le b)
$$
which we see is different from your version:
$$
\forall a \forall b\forall b_1 \in \mathbb{R} ((b_1 > b \rightarrow a \le b_1) \rightarrow a \le b)
$$

The linked article about pre-nex form tells you all that's needed about how quantifiers change as we move them from one place to another.
Okay, I see. I guess my most pressing question now is how could I have interpreted the original statement correctly and written ##\forall a\forall b \exists b_1 \in \mathbb{R} ((b_1 > b \rightarrow a \le b_1) \rightarrow a \le b)##. From the original statement I don't really see where the existence quantifier comes from.

Mr Davis 97 said:
Okay, I see. I guess my most pressing question now is how could I have interpreted the original statement correctly and written ##\forall a\forall b \exists b_1 \in \mathbb{R} ((b_1 > b \rightarrow a \le b_1) \rightarrow a \le b)##. From the original statement I don't really see where the existence quantifier comes from.
Start with Stephen's version, which is a correct, literal formalisation of the natural language statement in the OP. Then convert it to pre-nex form using the method set out in the linked wiki section on how to convert to pre-nex (see my previous post). The ##\exists## arises from the rule I mentioned.

Mr Davis 97 said:
Could you explain why you chose to place the ##b_1## in a different place?
@andrewkirk has explained details of the particular problem. As to how I, personally , approach such problems, I demand that each quantified variable have its own scope.

As I recall, in formal logic things go this way:

Each quantified variable has its own "scope". So the usual notation goes like:
##\forall x ( ...)##
##\exists x (...)##
Where the scope is put inside parenthesis or brackets of some sort.

If that notation is obeyed strictly then English phrases like "For each pair of real numbers x and y..." are denoted
##\forall x ( \ \forall y ( x \in \mathbb{R} \land y \in \mathbb{R} \implies ...)\ )##

It is common to see the above written in condensed notation like:
##\forall x,y ( x \in \mathbb{R} \land y \in \mathbb{R} \implies ...)##
Or even as:
##\forall x \in \mathbb{R}, y \in \mathbb{R} (...)##

But you must keep in mind that if condensed notation makes sense, then it must be possible to express the idea using the strict notation, where we precisely define the scope of each quantified variable. In the strict notation, scopes are nested inside other scopes rather than giving a set of several variables the same scope.

When you truly study formal logic, you study rules for manipulating strings of symbols. You have to use various theorems and conventions that justify using condensed notation and transforming statements with quantifiers in certain places to equivalent statement with quantifiers in different places. I don't remember the theorems, but I do retain a suspicious attitude about condensed notation such as ##\forall x,y,z(...)##. When I translate an English language statement into symbolic form, I visualize it as a statement where each quantified variable has its own scope - even if I don't use the strict notation to indicate the scope.

Mathematicians who use the notations of formal logic just as abbreviations for common speech, become adept at manipulating quantified variables just by "commonsense" - meaning a trained commonsense. For example, they can see there is little danger in transforming a statement of the form ##\forall x ( \forall y( \forall z(...)))## to the form ##\forall y,z,x (...)## They know to be careful with situations like ##\forall x ( \exists y ( \forall z (...) ) )## and ##\forall x ( \forall y ( \ (\forall z ( A(z,y)) \implies B(x,y))\ )) ##.

Last edited:
Likes jim mcnamara, Mr Davis 97 and andrewkirk

What is the contrapositive of a quantified statement?

The contrapositive of a quantified statement is a logically equivalent statement that is formed by negating both the subject and the predicate of the original statement, and then switching their positions. For example, the contrapositive of the statement "All birds can fly" would be "If something cannot fly, then it is not a bird."

How is the contrapositive of a quantified statement useful in logic and mathematics?

The contrapositive of a quantified statement is useful because it can help us prove the original statement. If the original statement and its contrapositive are both true, then the original statement must also be true. This is known as the "law of contrapositive" in logic and mathematics.

What is the difference between the contrapositive and the converse of a quantified statement?

The contrapositive and the converse of a quantified statement are both formed by negating and switching the subject and predicate, but they are not the same. The contrapositive is logically equivalent to the original statement, while the converse is not always true. In other words, the contrapositive preserves the truth value of the original statement, while the converse does not.

Can the contrapositive of a quantified statement be false if the original statement is true?

No, the contrapositive of a quantified statement cannot be false if the original statement is true. This is because the contrapositive is logically equivalent to the original statement, and if the original statement is true, then its contrapositive must also be true.

How can I determine the contrapositive of a quantified statement?

To determine the contrapositive of a quantified statement, you can follow the steps of negating and switching the subject and predicate. It may also be helpful to write out the original statement in the form of "If P, then Q" and then write the contrapositive as "If not-Q, then not-P."