1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Contravariant vectors and Transformation Equations

1. Jan 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This is me doing some independent study on Tensors because I eventually hope to understand General Relativity.

My question is about the following equation which describe hoe the components of a displacement vector transform when there is a change in the coordinate system.

[itex]d{y}^1 = \frac{∂y^1}{∂x^1} dx^1 + \frac{∂y^1}{∂x^2} dx^2[/itex]

To understand with and example, I drew out a normal 2D Cartesian Coordinate system with the axes [itex]x^1[/itex] and[itex] x^2 [/itex] and drew a new coordinate system with axes [itex]y^1[/itex] and [itex]y^2[/itex]. This new coordinate system was just the x system rotated anticlockwise by 30 degrees. I drew a displacement vector which went from (1,1) to (2,2) essentially a displacement vector of [itex](dx^1,dx^2)[/itex]

Since I already know linear algebra fairly well, I used the inverse transformation of a clockwise rotation of 30 degrees
    [itex]
    \left( \begin{array}{ccc}
    \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} & \frac{1}{2} \\
    \frac{-1}{2} & \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} \\
    \end{array} \right)
    [/itex]
    to find the values of [itex]y^1[/itex] and [itex]y^2[/itex] and got
    [itex] dy^1 =\frac{ \sqrt{3}}{2} dx^2 + \frac{1}{2} dx^2 [/itex]

Now try as I might I cannot seem to be able to figure out how the heck [itex] \frac{∂y^1}{∂x^1} = \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} [/itex] and [itex] \frac{∂y^1}{∂x^2} = \frac{1}{2} [/itex]

Can someone help me out?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2012 #2
    1. If you're doing tensors this book (it's free) is the single best book I've read on introducing the subject
    http://www.math.odu.edu/~jhh/counter2.html

2. if the equation you wrote for [itex]dy^1[/itex] is correct then [itex]\frac{\partial y^1}{\partial x^1} = \frac{1}{2}[/itex] and [itex] \frac{\partial y^1}{\partial x^2} = \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}[/itex]
    I think you may have mixed you indices up, try writing out the transformation equations in the form of
    [itex]y^1 = f_1(x^1)+g_1(x^2)[/itex]
    [itex]y^2 = f_2(x^1)+g_2(x^2)[/itex]
    it'll help you out a lot

4. Jan 21, 2012 #3
    Oh! I'm really sorry! :frown: It should have been

[itex]dy^1 =\frac{ \sqrt{3}}{2} dx^1 + \frac{1}{2} dx^2[/itex]

And that book is really good. Thanks!:biggrin:

About trying to write the equation in that format I think the problem maybe that I'm not writing it down correctly.

In my coordinate system transformation (which I've attached) am I right in saying that

[itex] y^1 = \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}x^1 [/itex] because [itex]y^1[/itex] is essentially a straight line with a gradient of [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}[/itex]?

Attached Files:

5. Jan 21, 2012 #4
    Yeah, if [itex]dy^1 = \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} dx^1 + \frac{1}{2}dx^2[/itex] then your partial derivatives are correct since the partial derivative with respect to one variable is just what you get when you set the 'd'*other variables to zero

For your transformation equation, think about what happens to your position in the y coordinates as you increase x1 then when you increase x2, each time you change your x1 coordinate you are changing your position in both of the y coordinates, if you understand what I mean.

if you move from x1=0 to x1=3, you've increase your y1 position but you've also decreased your y2 position since you are not below the y1 axis

6. Jan 21, 2012 #5
    Ah! I think I get it!!

I've been considering the cartesian equation instead of the vector equation!

So [itex] y^1 = \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} x^1 + \frac{1}{2} x^2 [/itex] !

Then I can get [itex]\frac{∂y^1}{∂x^1} = \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{∂y^1}{∂x^2} = \frac{1}{2}[/itex]

Yes, I get it now. Thanks a lot for helping me!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook