Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Contribution to physics- who should be included?

1. May 9, 2012 #1
    Hi all I have to do a quick 5 minute speech just about the evolution of physics...

My general idea is just to go back say from Archimedes~ to currently who has been the main contributors to physics?

Obviously it's only a 5 minute speech so not everyone can get a mention but I would like to name the physicist and give a brief description of what they have achieved.

So far...

Archimedes~buoyancy
    Kepler~ planetary laws of motion
    Newton~Motion,Gravitation,Cooling
    Faraday~Faraday's Laws of Induction and Electrolysis
    Planck~Law of radiation
    Heisenberg~uncertainty
    Maxwell~Electromagnetism
    Einstein~Special and General relativity
    Feynman&Dirac~quantum phys
    Hawking~black hole radiation.

Is there anyone I have missed or even I can take of the list as I really don't have enough time to cover all these physicist's work.

The one's I am thinking of taking of please tell me if I shouldn't...
    Archimedes, Planck, Faraday or Maxwell or is it possible to combine them?Hawking?

Please some feedback!!!

:)

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2012 #2
    I would mention Aristotle and Galileo. They are often used to describe the evolution of physics (and science in general) and for a good reason.

4. May 9, 2012 #3
    Yes you should add Galileo, and you can leave out Hawking. I would not know one that we are sure to be famous two centuries from now.

5. May 9, 2012 #4
    Good point!

Definitely Galileo, completely forgot about him. Thanks...

anyone else I could take out??

6. May 9, 2012 #5
    The history of physics.

Newton: Even though you can tell if you are speeding up, you can't tell how fast you are going.
    Maxwell: Yes you can.
    Einstein: No you can't. You can't even tell if you are speeding up.
    Heisenberg: Either you don't know where you are or you don't know where you're going.

Physics in a nutshell: The more you know about physics, the less you know about the world you live in.

7. May 9, 2012 #6
    This is a gem!

:rofl::rofl:

8. May 9, 2012 #7
    Hahaha this pretty much sums it up!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook