Control of matter on an atomic and molecular scale

In summary: Nanotechnology is a study of the control of matter on an atomic and molecular scale. This can be used to create devices, like nanobots, that can target cancer cells and destroy them.
Orangefall
Nanotechnology, is a study of the control of matter on an atomic and molecular scale right?
I'm currently studying taking this course in my college and I'm wondering if Nanotechnology plays a part in researching cancer cells. Does Nanotechnology helps in treatment of cancer cells?

If possible, are there any free online books that contain information of Nanotech so that I could learn from them?

I'm sorry if there are other threads regarding this. I'm new to this forum.

A big hi guys, I'm Ken from Singapore.

Physics news on Phys.org

From what i know Nanotechnology plays no part in curing cancer (at the moment) as radiation is mainly used to cure cancer and this has nothing to do with nanotechnology.

P.S: I think this post would be better in a more advanced section, maybe the biology section but I am not sure.

At the moment I don't think it's being used yet, but they are definitely researching the possibility. Think about 'nanobots' that are injected into your bloodstream and find cancer cells to destroy them.

Nick89 said:
Think about 'nanobots' that are injected into your bloodstream and find cancer cells to destroy them.

This is science fiction.

Vanadium 50 said:
This is science fiction.

As I said, this is not happening yet. Space travel was also science fiction a long time ago.

Nicks right. Stuff of science fiction is pursued by physicists more than anything else, so this is in no way a negative to Nicks answer.

Chemistry will always have simpler solutions for cancer. the problem is not that nanotehnology is not evolved enough ( it really isn't), it's the fact that most of the molecular mechanism of reaction and interaction in cells are mostly unknown.

Proteins can be considered nanobots, quite functional ones.

There is a technique (still in the developemental stages) that would use gold nanospheres injected into the body. These little balls would be of a carefully controlled diameter, and would attach themselves to cancer cells. The body would then be bombarded with IR radiation at a wavelength equall to the size of the nanospheres.

Result; the spheres heat up, but nothing else in the body does. Cells in direct contact with the nanospheres (which should only be cancer cells) get cooked, and other cells receive no damage.

I read it in SciAm awhile back. http://www.dddmag.com/news-nanospheres-cancer-cells-032409.aspx" to articles from several publications.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the purpose of controlling matter on an atomic and molecular scale?

The purpose of controlling matter on an atomic and molecular scale is to understand and manipulate the fundamental building blocks of all matter. This can lead to advancements in various fields, such as material science, medicine, and technology.

How is matter controlled on an atomic and molecular scale?

Matter can be controlled on an atomic and molecular scale through various techniques such as nanotechnology, scanning probe microscopy, and laser manipulation. These methods allow scientists to observe and manipulate individual atoms and molecules.

What are some potential applications of controlling matter on an atomic and molecular scale?

Some potential applications of controlling matter on an atomic and molecular scale include creating stronger and more durable materials, developing more efficient and precise drug delivery systems, and advancing the field of quantum computing.

What are the challenges faced in controlling matter on an atomic and molecular scale?

One of the main challenges in controlling matter on an atomic and molecular scale is the difficulty in observing and manipulating particles that are so small. It also requires advanced technology and precise techniques, making it a complex and time-consuming process.

What are the potential ethical implications of controlling matter on an atomic and molecular scale?

The potential ethical implications of controlling matter on an atomic and molecular scale include concerns about unintended consequences and the responsible use of this technology. There may also be ethical considerations regarding ownership and access to these advancements.