1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Control of matter on an atomic and molecular scale

1. Jun 17, 2009 #1
    Nanotechnology, is a study of the control of matter on an atomic and molecular scale right?
    I'm currently studying taking this course in my college and I'm wondering if Nanotechnology plays a part in researching cancer cells. Does Nanotechnology helps in treatment of cancer cells?

If possible, are there any free online books that contain information of Nanotech so that I could learn from them?

I'm sorry if there are other threads regarding this. I'm new to this forum.

A big hi guys, I'm Ken from Singapore.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2009 #2
    Re: Nanotechnology

From what i know Nanotechnology plays no part in curing cancer (at the moment) as radiation is mainly used to cure cancer and this has nothing to do with nanotechnology.

P.S: I think this post would be better in a more advanced section, maybe the biology section but im not sure.

4. Jun 21, 2009 #3

At the moment I don't think it's being used yet, but they are definately researching the possibility. Think about 'nanobots' that are injected into your bloodstream and find cancer cells to destroy them.

5. Jun 21, 2009 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

This is science fiction.

6. Jun 21, 2009 #5

As I said, this is not happening yet. Space travel was also science fiction a long time ago.

7. Jun 21, 2009 #6

Nicks right. Stuff of science fiction is persued by physicists more than anything else, so this is in no way a negative to Nicks answer.

8. Jun 21, 2009 #7

Lok

Chemistry will always have simpler solutions for cancer. the problem is not that nanotehnology is not evolved enough ( it really isn't), it's the fact that most of the molecular mechanism of reaction and interaction in cells are mostly unknown.

Proteins can be considered nanobots, quite functional ones.

9. Jun 21, 2009 #8

LURCH

Science Advisor

There is a technique (still in the developemental stages) that would use gold nanospheres injected into the body. These little balls would be of a carefully controlled diameter, and would attach themselves to cancer cells. The body would then be bombarded with IR radiation at a wavelength equall to the size of the nanospheres.

Result; the spheres heat up, but nothing else in the body does. Cells in direct contact with the nanospheres (which should only be cancer cells) get cooked, and other cells receive no damage.

I read it in SciAm awhile back. http://www.dddmag.com/news-nanospheres-cancer-cells-032409.aspx" [Broken] to articles from several publications.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook