1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Control theory useful for a physics major?

1. Feb 28, 2009 #1
    Is a control theory class usueful for someone who wants to do experimental physics in grad school?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2009 #2
    So from the lack of response, I figure it's not very useful?

4. Mar 1, 2009 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Wow...you gave us ten whole hours to answer your question.

5. Mar 2, 2009 #4
    You got an overdamped response... That could be a controls joke... a terrible one.

It's a good class. I don't use it much at my job but it was fun to learn. I took the class for my undergrad ME. It was a good exercise in linear algebra and electrical signals.

6. Mar 2, 2009 #5
    Control theory is more important for engineers e.g. anyone who works in robotics, but it is also a good exposure to mathematical methods of problem solving in the real world.

7. Mar 2, 2009 #6

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I really depends upon what you end up doing. I use what I learned in control theory A LOT
    but that is because I am an experimental physicists and happen to work in a field where we often use PID controllers for temperature control, feedback loops for stabilizing oscillators etc.
    It would obviously not be quite as useful I was working in e.g. string theory.
    Although I must say that having some idea about how to determine e.g. if a system is stable can really come in handy even when working on more "abstract" theory.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook