Control theory useful for a physics major?

• Thread starter theFencer
  • Start date
Is a control theory class usueful for someone who wants to do experimental physics in grad school?

So from the lack of response, I figure it's not very useful?

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Wow...you gave us ten whole hours to answer your question.

So from the lack of response
You got an overdamped response... That could be a controls joke... a terrible one.

It's a good class. I don't use it much at my job but it was fun to learn. I took the class for my undergrad ME. It was a good exercise in linear algebra and electrical signals.

Control theory is more important for engineers e.g. anyone who works in robotics, but it is also a good exposure to mathematical methods of problem solving in the real world.

f95toli

Science Advisor
I really depends upon what you end up doing. I use what I learned in control theory A LOT
but that is because I am an experimental physicists and happen to work in a field where we often use PID controllers for temperature control, feedback loops for stabilizing oscillators etc.
It would obviously not be quite as useful I was working in e.g. string theory.
Although I must say that having some idea about how to determine e.g. if a system is stable can really come in handy even when working on more "abstract" theory.