1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convergence and divergence help

1. Dec 9, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Determine whether the following converges or diverges:

[tex]\sum\frac{n^{n}}{(n+1)^{(n+1)}}[/tex]

with the sum going from n=1 to n=infinity.

2. Relevant equations

Comparison Test, Ratio Test.

3. The attempt at a solution

This should be do-able with the above two tests, since those are the only ones covered in the book up to this point. I think it diverges but I can't seem to get anywhere with either test. Any help appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2008 #2
    Re: Convergence/divergence

I think you are going to want to use the ratio test... try setting it up this way...

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \frac{\frac{(n+1)^{n+1}}{((n+1)+1)^{((n+1)+1)}}}{\frac{n^n}{(n+1)^{(n+1)}}}[/tex]

4. Dec 9, 2008 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can try that. But it's going to give you a limit of 1. So the test is inconclusive. What you really need to do is find a way to use the famous limit (1+1/n)^n=e.

5. Dec 9, 2008 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The ratio test is inconclusive (check for yourself using randomlogic's setup); why don't you show us what you've tried for the comparison test?

6. Dec 9, 2008 #5

Indeed it is inconclusive.

7. Dec 9, 2008 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Reasonable suggestion, nonetheless.

8. Dec 10, 2008 #7

Okay thanks, I think i got it:

[tex]\frac{n^{n}}{(n+1)^{n+1}} = \frac{1}{(n+1)}(\frac{n}{n+1})^{n} = \frac{1}{(n+1)}\frac{1}{(\frac{n+1}{n})^{n}} = \frac{1}{(n+1)}\frac{1}{(1+\frac{1}{n})^{n}}} \geq \frac{1}{(n+1)}\frac{1}{(e+1)}[/tex]

using the fact that (1+1/n)^n tends to e.

Now [tex]\frac{1}{e+1}\sum{\frac{1}{n+1}}[/tex] diverges, therefore our series must diverge too :-)

Does that seem okay?

9. Dec 10, 2008 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's it. (1+1/n)^n is actually <=e, isn't it? But there's nothing wrong with playing it safe and saying <=(e+1) either.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?