1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Convergence comparison test (sequence, calc II)

1. Jun 22, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Finally done with stupid improper integrals (calc 2 over summer is hard work, moving super fast) and now i'm sequences and series and what have you. I have another comparison test problem

Instructions are to find out if sequence converges or diverges, and find limit if it converges.

Sequence is:
    {An}= n!/(2^n) .

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know what to do with the factorial most of the time. I tried expanding it but the 2^n is throwing me off becuase the sequence diverges. Can i get a nudge in the right direction? I don't think my instructor wants me to find the limit of it if i can avoid doing so on divergence problems (he makes a point to tell us on HW to check convergence beforehand as practice for quizzes/tests).

As always thank all of you who help out pity-able college students as myself (lol) .

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You should really show us what you tried. But try a ratio test.

4. Jun 23, 2010 #3
    Its a sequence or a series ?
    There is no comparison test for sequences.
    If its a sequence: Try the sandwich theorem.
    If its a series: See Dick's reply.

5. Jun 25, 2010 #4
    a_(n+1) / a_(n) >= 1, so the sequence monotonic increasing.
    if you can't find a limit (number) then the series goes to infinity.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook