1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convergence/Divergence of an infinite series

1. Oct 19, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=1} \frac{(-1)^{n}}{\sqrt{n}+(-1)^{n}}[/tex]

Prove whether this series converges or diverges using the following analysis:
    Let [tex]b_{k}[/tex] be the sum of terms numbered n=2k-1 and n=2k from the given series.
    By simplifying [tex]b_{k}[/tex], determine if [tex]\sum^{\infty}_{k=1} b_{k}[/tex] converges or diverges.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

From what I have above, I think:

[tex]b_{k} = \frac{(-1)^{2k-1}}{\sqrt{2k-1}+(-1)^{2k-1}} + \frac{(-1)^{2k}}{\sqrt{2k}+(-1)^{2k}}[/tex]

which means,

[tex]\sum^{\infty}_{k=1} b_{k}= \sum^{\infty}_{k=1} \frac{(-1)^{2k-1}}{\sqrt{2k-1}+(-1)^{2k-1}} + \sum^{\infty}_{k=1} \frac{(-1)^{2k}}{\sqrt{2k}+(-1)^{2k}}[/tex]

I'm not sure where to go from here as far as simplifying goes. I tried adding the two fractions but I don't think that helps. Also, I can't use the Alternating series test on the original series because the absolute value of the terms is not monotone and decreasing.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If k is an integer, then (-1)^(2k)=1 and (-1)^(2k-1)=(-1). Yes, you can't use the alternating series test. But you can learn something by combining the two terms and looking at the asymptotic form of the limit.

4. Oct 20, 2009 #3
    Would you mind clarifying what you said about the asymptotic form? I already tried adding the two terms but it looks a bit messy, and I'm lost as to what I should be looking for next.

[tex]\sum b_{k} = \sum \frac{-1}{\sqrt{2k-1}-1} + \sum \frac{1}{\sqrt{2k}+1} = \sum \frac{\sqrt{2k-1}-\sqrt{2k}-2}{\sqrt{4k^{2}-2k}+\sqrt{2k-1}-\sqrt{2k}-1}
    [/tex]

Thank you.

5. Oct 21, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can you show lim k->infinity sqrt(2k-1)-sqrt(2k)=0? If you ignore those terms then I would say that what's left behaves like -1/k for large k. That's what I meant by asymptotic form. That suggests that the way to prove it is to show |b_k|>C/k for some C for large k. Can you do that?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook