Prove divergence of the Series

In summary: The Riemann Series Theorem states that a conditionally convergent series can be rearranged to add to any limit at all, including ##\pm\infty##. The link has some examples of how to do this.Thanks.So my solution is wrong?Unfortunately, yes. I think giving it a zero was a bit tough though!
davidge

Homework Statement

Given ##b_n = 1 / n## if ##n## odd and ##b_n = 1 / n^2## if ##n## even, show that the series $$\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} (-1)^n b_n$$ diverges.

Homework Equations

Did'nt find any for this problem

The Attempt at a Solution

I assumed that ##\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} (-1)^n b_n = \sum_{n \ \text{even}} b_n - \sum_{n \ \text{odd}} b_n##.

If we make the substitution ##n = 2k, k \in \mathbb{N}## for ##n## even and ##n = 2k + 1, k \in \mathbb{N} \cup 0## for ##n## odd, then the original series becomes

$$\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} (-1)^n b_n = \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{(2k)^2} - \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{2k+1}$$
By using the integral test for divergence, we easily find that the second sum on the RHS diverges, what causes the divergence of the whole series.

The professor said it can't be done the way I did, because any rearrengement of the series changes the final result. But this doesn't seem true, since we are dealing with all the terms, How can the result be different?

BTW, this was an exam question and she gave me a zero, claiming that I was wrong on that.

Physics news on Phys.org
Rearranging the order of terms in a series can change the result if there are an infinite number of both positive and negative terms, which is the case here. A series that converges to the same limit irrespective of any rearrangement of terms is called unconditionally convergent.

The Riemann Series Theorem states that a conditionally convergent series can be rearranged to add to any limit at all, including ##\pm\infty##. The link has some examples of how to do this.

Thanks.
So my solution is wrong?

Last edited:
Unfortunately, yes. I think giving it a zero was a bit tough though!

A way to prove it without rearranging terms is to note that:

\begin{align*}
\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} (-1)^n b_n
&= \sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\left( (-1)^{2k+1} b_{2k+1} + (-1)^{2k} b_{2k}\right)\\
&= \sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\left( \frac1{2k} - \frac1{2k+1} \right)\\
&= \sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\left( \frac1{2k} - \frac1{(2k+1)^2} \right)\\
&= \sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\left( \frac{2k+1-1}{(2k+1)^2} \right)\\
&= \sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\left( \frac{2k}{(2k+1)^2} \right)\\
&\geq \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\left( \frac{2k+1}{2(2k+1)^2} \right)
\end{align*}
and, since that series has all positive terms, they can be rearranged without changing convergence. A judicious rearrangement shows that the sum is greater than one quarter of ##\sum{j=1}^\infty 1/j##, which is known to diverge.

Likes davidge
This was very clarifying. Thank you very much.
andrewkirk said:
I think giving it a zero was a bit tough though!
:biggrin:

davidge said:

Homework Statement

Given ##b_n = 1 / n## if ##n## odd and ##b_n = 1 / n^2## if ##n## even, show that the series $$\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} (-1)^n b_n$$ diverges.

Homework Equations

Did'nt find any for this problem

The Attempt at a Solution

I assumed that ##\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} (-1)^n b_n = \sum_{n \ \text{even}} b_n - \sum_{n \ \text{odd}} b_n##.

If we make the substitution ##n = 2k, k \in \mathbb{N}## for ##n## even and ##n = 2k + 1, k \in \mathbb{N} \cup 0## for ##n## odd, then the original series becomes

$$\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} (-1)^n b_n = \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{(2k)^2} - \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{2k+1}$$
By using the integral test for divergence, we easily find that the second sum on the RHS diverges, what causes the divergence of the whole series.

The professor said it can't be done the way I did, because any rearrengement of the series changes the final result. But this doesn't seem true, since we are dealing with all the terms, How can the result be different?

BTW, this was an exam question and she gave me a zero, claiming that I was wrong on that.

You can re-arrange finite sums with no problem, and doing that will work in this problem. Consider the finite sum ##S_{2N+1}## (the sum of the first ##2N+1## terms). We have
$$S_{2N+1} = [1/2^2 + 1/4^2+ \cdots + 1/(2N)^2] - [1 + 1/3 + 1/5 + \cdots + 1/(2N+1)].$$
The first (even) terms produce a convergent series, having a finite limit as ##N \to \infty##, while the second (odd) terms produce a divergent series, diverging to ##\infty## as ##N \to \infty##. Thus, ##S_{2N+1}## does not have a finite limit as ##N \to \infty##. Actually, you would need to do a bit or work to show divergence of the odd terms, but it would not be too onerous.

Last edited:
Likes davidge

What is the definition of divergence of a series?

Divergence of a series refers to the behavior of a series where the terms do not approach a specific value or limit as the number of terms increases. This means that the series does not converge to a finite value and instead grows infinitely large or oscillates between different values.

How do you prove divergence of a series?

To prove divergence of a series, one must show that the series does not converge. This can be done by using different convergence tests, such as the comparison test, ratio test, or integral test. If the series fails any of these tests, it can be concluded that the series diverges.

What is the importance of proving divergence of a series?

Proving divergence of a series is important because it helps to determine the behavior of the series and whether it has a finite sum or not. This information is useful in various mathematical applications, such as in determining the behavior of functions or in solving differential equations.

Can a series both converge and diverge?

No, a series cannot both converge and diverge. A series can either converge, meaning it has a finite sum, or diverge, meaning it does not have a finite sum. It is not possible for a series to have both of these behaviors.

What are some common misconceptions about proving divergence of a series?

One common misconception is that if a series has an infinite number of terms, it must diverge. However, there are some infinite series that do converge, such as the geometric series with a common ratio between -1 and 1. Another misconception is that if the terms of a series approach zero, the series must converge. While this is true for some series, it is not a guarantee and other convergence tests need to be used to prove convergence or divergence.