Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convergence of sequence of measurable sets

1. Apr 24, 2012 #1
    Given a totally finite measure μ defined on a [itex]\sigma[/itex]-field X, define the (pseudo)metric d(A,B)=μ(A-B)+μ(B-A), (the symmetric difference metric), it can be shown this is a valid pseudo-metric and therefore the metric space (X',d) is well defined if equivalent classes of sets [itex][A_\alpha][/itex] where [itex]d(A_{\alpha_1},A_{\alpha_2})=0[/itex] are considered.

How do I show this metric space (X',d) is complete? In other words, given a Cauchy sequence {An}, the limit seems to be given by [itex]A=\cap_{n=1}^\infty A_n[/itex], but how do I formalize the proof? d(An,A)=μ(An-A)=[itex]\mu(A_n-\cap_{n=1}^\infty A_n[/itex])=...,
    How do I make use of the Cauchy sequence {An}?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2012 #2
    It turns out the limit is not [itex]A=\cap_nA_n[/itex] (e.g., [itex]A_1=\emptyset,A_n=A\neq\emptyset,n>1[/itex]), unless [itex]A_{n+1}\subset A_n[/itex], in which case
    [itex]\mu(A)=\mu(\cap_nA_n)=\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\mu(A_n)[/itex], so that [itex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} d(A_n,A)=\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}[\mu(A_n)-\mu(A)]=0[/itex].

In the general case, what would be a suitable candidate limit set?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  4. Apr 25, 2012 #3
    I have come up with two candidates, define {Bn} and {Cn} where [itex]B_n=\cup_{k=n}^\infty A_k[/itex] and [itex]C_n=\cap_{k=n}^\infty A_k[/itex], it can be shown that {Bn} converges to [itex]B=\cap_{k=n}^\infty B_k[/itex] and {Cn} converges to [itex]C=\cup_{k=n}^\infty C_k[/itex], it can also be shown that [itex]C_n\subset A_n\subset B_n[/itex], the problem is how to show C=B so that {An} has to converge to B or C. Can anybody help? Thanks a lot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook