1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convergence of sequences proof

1. Oct 19, 2013 #1
    Given a sequence ## <x_n> ##, let ## <x_{n+1}> ## denote the sequence whose nth term for each ## n \in \mathbb{N} ## is ## x_{n+1} ##. Show that if ## <x_n> ## converges then ## < x_{n+1} ## converges and they have the same limit.

my attempt thus far

given ## \epsilon > 0 ## ##\exists N \in \mathbb{R} ## s.t. n > N implies ## |x_n - l | < \epsilon ## where l is the limit of ## x_n##.

now we need to prove that for given ## \epsilon > 0 ## ##\exists N_1 \in \mathbb{R} ## s.t. ##n > N_1 ## implies ## |x_{n+1} - m | < \epsilon ## where m is the limit of ## x_{n+1} ## and m = l

heres what I have thus far

consider ## |x_n - l |## :

## |x_n - l | = |x_n - l + x_{n+1} - x_{n+1} | = |(x_n - x_{n+1}) + (x_{n+1} - l ) | \leq |x_n - x_{n+1} | + |x_{n+1} - l| \leq |x - x_{n+1} | + |x_{n+1} - l | \leq |x_{n+1} - x | + |x_{n+1} -l | ##

any ideas how to proceed? or if I'm even doing it correctly

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2013 #2
    Not a bad try. But you want to show [itex] |x_{n+1}-l|\le \epsilon [/itex] so you should start your inequality with that instead of [itex] |x_n-l| [/itex]. Also when you break up the absolute value into two pieces, use what you know about the size of [itex] |x_n-l|[/itex] and [itex]|x_n-x_{n+1}| [/itex]. I'm not sure why you introduced "x", what is it?

4. Oct 19, 2013 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If [itex]\{x_n\}[/itex] converges to L, then, given any [itex]\epsilon>0[/itex], there exist N such that if n> N then [itex]|x_n- L|< \epsilon[/itex]. Here, your second sequence, lets call it [itex]\{a_m\}[/itex] has the property that [itex]a_m= x_{n+1}[/itex]. Do you see that, for the same [itex]\epsilon[/itex], we can our new "N" to be the old N plus 1?

(This is a different method than ArcanaNoir's. Both will work.)

5. Oct 19, 2013 #4
    The x is the first term of the sequence

if I do x_n - x_(n+1) = x_1, x_2, x_3 ... x_n - (x_2, x_3, x_4... x_(n+1))

how do I evaluate [itex]|x_n-x_{n+1}| [/itex]? I have no idea of it's size

6. Oct 19, 2013 #5
    No, I don't see that - I mean it kind of makes sense, but I'm not all that convinced.

Thank you for your help

7. Oct 19, 2013 #6
    Have you learned about Cauchy sequences?

At any rate, you know [itex] |x_n-l|<\epsilon [/itex] for all n>N. Well if n>N, isn't n+1 > N?

8. Oct 19, 2013 #7
    I have not learned about Cauchy sequences, all we have done is the definition of convergence and this is a question on my problem sheet.

I agree with the highlighted part, but I do not see how it helps.

thanks,

9. Oct 19, 2013 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Maybe I just don't get what you don't get, but if

doesn't that mean [itex] |x_{n+1}-l|<\epsilon [/itex]? It's really simpler than what you think.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  10. Oct 20, 2013 #9
    Yeah that makes sense actually,

but for a different proof:

I got from here ## |x_{n+1} - l| \leq |x_{n+1} - x_n| + |x_n - l | < |x_{n+1} - x_n| + \epsilon ## how do I evaluate ## |x_{n+1} - x_n|##?

11. Oct 20, 2013 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's really not a very good way to go. Because about the only thing you can say about ## |x_{n+1} - x_n|## is that since ##|x_n-l|<\epsilon## AND ## |x_{n+1} - l| < \epsilon## then ## |x_{n+1} - x_n| < 2\epsilon##, but you need the bound on ## |x_{n+1} - l|## to say that.

12. Oct 20, 2013 #11
    hm I see, but I just cannot seem to construct a proof using that if x_n is bounded then there n>N for some N then n+1 > N also

13. Oct 20, 2013 #12

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't understand why you don't see it. If n>N then n+1>N. It's automatic. The same N that works for the sequence ##a_n## works for the sequence ##b_n## where ##b_n=a_{n+1}##.

14. Oct 20, 2013 #13
    So that's all I'd have to state for the proof?

15. Oct 20, 2013 #14

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, a proof could be that simple. Write it in a way that you understand it.

16. Oct 20, 2013 #15
    Thank you very much Dick, and everyone else who helped :)!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted