1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convergence of the following series as N goes to infty

1. Nov 25, 2008 #1
    hi there!

I want to show the convergence of the following series as N goes to infty.

[tex]\displaystyle{\sum_{k=0}^N}\frac{x^k}{k!}-\frac{n!x_n^k}{k!(n-k)!n^k}[/tex],

x_n is a sequence such that. lim(n->oo)x_n = x, but I´m interested in big N

I ´m not allowed to use the limit definition of exp(x)

What I want to do (but am not sure if it´s correct) is to separate the sum before taking the limit N->oo and after that take it, so that the first term converges to exp(x) an the convergence of the second term I can show with the ratio test

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2008 #2

lurflurf

Homework Helper

Re: series

Are you sure N and n are not related?
    What is your convention when k>N?
    The usual convention is that nCk=0

4. Nov 25, 2008 #3

I don't know if this will help, but did you notice that the [tex]\frac{n!}{k!(n-k)!}[/tex] is the binomial coefficient? Might be worth something...

5. Nov 25, 2008 #4

lurflurf, sorry I forgot to say that n>=N, but it really comes up to N not n.

JG89, thanks, it is also given as the binomial coefficient, I wrote it that way cuz I don´t know how to write it in latex language :(

could you say if I can do it the way I described it, or it´s somehow wrong to do like that?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?