Convergent non-monotone sequences

In summary, the problem involves finding the set C which is defined as the union of an infinite number of sets Cn. Part (a) asks to find the simplest form of C, which is [0,3]. Part (b) asks for a non-monotone sequence in C that converges to 0, and examples of such a sequence could include (1, 2, 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, 1/5,...) or (1/n*sin(n)).
Easty

Homework Statement

Let C=[tex]\bigcup[/tex]n=1[tex]\infty[/tex]Cn where Cn=[1/n,3-(1/n)]
a) Find C in its simplest form.
b)Give a non-monotone sequence in C converging to 0.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a) i get C=[0,3]. Is this correct? I am not sure as to wether 0 and 3 are contained in the set though. Should it be C=(0, 3)?

As for part b) I am not really sure here. I thought one such sequence might be
(1, 2, 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, 1/5,...). So the tail converges to zero and the first 2 terms mean it is non-monotone.
[

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Easty! :smile:
Easty said:
For part a) i get C=[0,3]. Is this correct? I am not sure as to wether 0 and 3 are contained in the set though.

Well, by definition of union, 0 is only in C if it's in one of the Cns … is it? :wink:
As for part b) I am not really sure here. I thought one such sequence might be
(1, 2, 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, 1/5,...). So the tail converges to zero and the first 2 terms mean it is non-monotone.

hmm … seems a daft question :rolleyes:

but I suspect they want it to be non-monotone wherever you start.

Ok then so it must be C=(0, 3).

As for part b would this sequence work:
(1/n*sin(n)).
It should converge by the absolute convergence theorem i think.
I'd appreciate any comments or criticisms.
thanks

Easty said:
Ok then so it must be C=(0, 3).

Yup! :biggrin:
As for part b would this sequence work:
(1/n*sin(n)).
It should converge by the absolute convergence theorem i think.

Yes, almost any daft sequence works! :smile:

1. What is a convergent non-monotone sequence?

A convergent non-monotone sequence is a sequence of numbers that approaches a specific value (known as the limit) but does not have a consistent pattern of increasing or decreasing values.

2. How do you determine the limit of a convergent non-monotone sequence?

The limit of a convergent non-monotone sequence can be determined by finding the value that the sequence approaches as the number of terms increases. This can be done by graphing the sequence or using mathematical methods such as the squeeze theorem or the Cauchy criterion.

3. Can a convergent non-monotone sequence have more than one limit?

No, a convergent non-monotone sequence can only have one limit. This is because the definition of a limit states that as the number of terms in the sequence approaches infinity, the terms should get closer and closer to the limit value.

4. What is the difference between a convergent and a divergent non-monotone sequence?

A convergent non-monotone sequence approaches a specific value (limit), while a divergent non-monotone sequence does not have a limit and the terms in the sequence either increase or decrease without bound.

5. Can a convergent non-monotone sequence have a limit that is not a real number?

No, a convergent non-monotone sequence can only have a real number as its limit. This is because the definition of a limit requires the terms in the sequence to approach a specific value, and real numbers are the only numbers that can be approached in this way.