1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convergent series with non-negative terms, a counter-example with negative terms

1. Aug 23, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The terms of convergent series [itex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty[/itex][itex]a_n[/itex] are non-negative. Let [itex]m_n[/itex] = max{[itex]a_n, a_{n+1}[/itex]}, [itex]n = 1,2,...[/itex]

Prove that [itex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty[/itex][itex]m_n[/itex] converges.

Show with a counter-example that the claim above doesn't necessarily hold if the assumption [itex]a_n[/itex][itex]\geq[/itex]0 for all n[itex]\geq[/itex]1 is dropped.

2. The attempt at a solution

I think I've solved the first claim using a theorem which claims if series converges then its partial sum converges as well. This holds assuming that I understood right the meaning of [itex]m_n[/itex]=max{[itex]a_n, a_{n+1}[/itex]}

I'm stuck with another one, frankly saying I couldn't find any counter-example.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2011 #2

Staff: Mentor

How can a series fail to converge? One way is if the partial sums get larger and larger without bound (or more and more negative). Is there another way that a series can diverge?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?