1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Converging lens solve for all variables given f, Hi, and Ho

1. May 7, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

RgwwJmfVduBPWG4cfwnHZTMzsxsMgsBWP1VjmUP3g1E70Ct1Dl96lejtSL8ErrTMberzTnY5Q9__GcW9Tk=w1836-h117-no.jpg

What is directly given in the problem:
    Converging lens with f=1.43m
    Hi = 2m

2. Relevant equations

Hi/Ho = di/do
    M = Hi/Ho = di/do
    1/f = 1/do + 1/di

3. The attempt at a solution

Ho = 2m * 20 = 40m
    Not sure how I can get do from this. All of the equations seem to need di.

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2017 #2
    You can get the object height from the magnification. Since the image is [itex]20[/itex] times smaller than the object, [itex]M=1/20[/itex]. We also know that [itex]H_i=2 \, m[/itex].

To get the distance to the coaster, multiply [tex]\frac{1}{f}=\frac{1}{d_o}+\frac{1}{d_i}[/tex] through by [itex]d_o[/itex] and substitute [itex]1/M=20[/itex] for [itex]d_o/d_i[/itex]. You know the focal length, so it shouldn't be difficult to solve for [itex]d_o[/itex] from there.

4. May 8, 2017 #3

andrevdh

Homework Helper

the image is 20x smaller than the object so

hi = 1/20 ho

giving us

hi/ho = 1/20

but hi/ho = di/do

so we also have that

di/do = 1/20

so that we have that the object distance in terms of the image distance is

do = .... ?

5. May 8, 2017 #4
    Multiply the equation [tex]\frac{1}{f}=\frac{1}{d_o}+\frac{1}{d_i}[/tex] through by [itex]d_o[/itex]. This gives you the equation [tex]\frac{d_o}{f}=\frac{d_o}{d_o}+\frac{d_o}{d_i}[/tex] [itex]d_o/d_o=1[/itex] and [itex]d_o/d_i=1/M[/itex] Solve for the remaining [itex]d_o[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted