What is the power of the lens in diopters?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
KVM
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


It is desired to magnify reading material by a factor of 3.5× when a book is placed 9.5 cm behind a lens.
What is the power of the lens in diopters?

Homework Equations


1/f = 1/di + 1/do
M = -di/do
P=1/f

The Attempt at a Solution


I set equal the magnification to -di/do and solved for di
3.5=-di/9.5
di = -33.25 cm
Then I plugged into equation to find 1/f which = P
1/f = 1/di + 1/do
1/f = 1/-33.25 + 1/9.5
1/f = 0.075
I don't understand why this isn't right??
 
Physics news on Phys.org
(If 1/f is in diopters, f is in meters).

The magnification is negative; di is positive. If you do that, it should work out.