Converging Seq: Determine Limit of Xk+1 = (k/k+2)Xk, X1=1/2

  • Thread starter Thread starter trap101
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Converging
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
trap101
Messages
339
Reaction score
0
Determine whether each of the following sequences converge or not. In each case present a formal
explanation. If a sequence converges find the limit and if not determine whether there should be any
converging subsequences, and if so find more than one converging subsequences.

Xk+1 = (k/k+2)Xk, where X1 = 1/2


Attempt: Now I was thinking of taking the (lim k-->∞ 1/(1+2/k) ) (lim k-->∞ Xk). In other words take the limits of the individual sequences and show that they converge, but I'm realizing I don't have an expression for Xk so I might not be able to do this. In the same breath if this sequence doesn't converge, would finding two subseqeunces through by fiddling with some numbers work?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
trap101 said:
Determine whether each of the following sequences converge or not. In each case present a formal
explanation. If a sequence converges find the limit and if not determine whether there should be any
converging subsequences, and if so find more than one converging subsequences.

Xk+1 = (k/k+2)Xk, where X1 = 1/2


Attempt: Now I was thinking of taking the (lim k-->∞ 1/(1+2/k) ) (lim k-->∞ Xk). In other words take the limits of the individual sequences and show that they converge, but I'm realizing I don't have an expression for Xk so I might not be able to do this. In the same breath if this sequence doesn't converge, would finding two subseqeunces through by fiddling with some numbers work?

As written, your sequence is xk+1 = 3xk, because k/k + 2 = 3. Is that what you were really given?

RGV
 
Ray Vickson said:
As written, your sequence is xk+1 = 3xk, because k/k + 2 = 3. Is that what you were really given?

RGV

[k/(k+2)] Xk ...so the fraction k/(k+2) times Xk

.man I need to learn latex...
 
trap101 said:
[k/(k+2)] Xk ...so the fraction k/(k+2) times Xk

.man I need to learn latex...

No. Just use parentheses, as you did above.

Anyway, the easiest way to deal with the question is to find an actual formula for xk. If you write out in detail the first few values of xk you will see a pattern, and can then prove the general result by induction, for example.

RGV