1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conversion of physics degree to meng in aerospace

1. Sep 25, 2014 #1
    I am in my final year doing a physics bsc but max i can acheive is a 2.2 grade.
    I'm looking to do a conversion to an aerospace MEng after graduation, however i'd like to ask;

1. Do you think typically I could move to an M Eng course ( 1 year )directly after getting the degree?
    2. Would I typically need to do a conversion supplementary year ?
    3. Will my grade at Physics determine whether this is possible, since only top grades would typically be accepted for MEng course directly?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2014 #2
    A good friend of mine graduated with a BS in physics and just finished up a masters in aerospace. I believe now she is applying to Phd programs and is doing research with NASA AMES(sp?). She has a 3.6+ gpa though. If your 2.2 is out of a 4.0 then I suspect that this will be much to low in order to get into a MEng but you never know. Good luck to you!

4. Sep 25, 2014 #3
    Thanks the gpa equivalent is 3.0 to a uk 2.2.
    My concern was whilst i thought it was possible, my potential bsc grade would be too low for a conversion, and they would only take gpa 3.5's or above.

5. Sep 28, 2014 #4
    I did my undergrad in physics and then switched to aerospace engineering for my MS degree. It's certainly doable, and you'll probably find some of the engineering math courses easy. Do you have any research and/or internship experience? That will really help your application. I don't think there's a minimum GPA you need in order to apply. I know people with GPAs around the 3.0 mark who managed to get accepted into universities with great engineering programs. Their research experience is what really helped their applications.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook