1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convert a polynomial to hypergeometric function

1. Sep 10, 2014 #1
    i want to write a hypergeometric function (2F1(a,b;c,x)) as function of n that generate polynomials below

n=0 → 1
    n=1 → y
    n=2 → 4(ω+1)y^2-1
    n=3 → y(2(2ω+3)y^2-3)
    n=4 → 8(ω+2)(2ω+3)y^4-6(6+4ω)y^2+3
    ... → ...

2F1(a,b;c,x)=1+(ab)/(c)x+(a(a+1)b(b+1))/(c(c+1))x^2/2!+...

the answer is 2F1(-n,n+4ω+2;2ω+3/2;(1-y)/2) but i want the solution completely.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2014 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What is preventing you from verifying the results for n = 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 for yourself? You can work out the solution just as easily as we can.

4. Sep 10, 2014 #3
    i want to proof it. if i dont know the answer how can i yield a,b,c and x in hypergeometric function?

5. Sep 10, 2014 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You told us that the answer is 2F1(-n,n+4ω+2;2ω+3/2;(1-y)/2), so you are told what must be a, b and c. You prove it (not "proof" it) by straight verification.

6. Sep 11, 2014 #5
    I need a method of solution that starts form series of polynomials and convert it to hypergeometric function. i mean how to achieving answer that we already have it. I know that by substituting n in answer the polynomials generated, but this isn't the point that i need it. i'm looking for a analytical solution.

7. Sep 11, 2014 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Good luck with that; I don't think there is any reasonable and general method.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted