Convert Perspective picture to Ortho picture for CAD

Main Question or Discussion Point

I want to take a picture of an object. Then import the image into cad. And trace it. The issue I am having is the picture from the camera is a 3D perspective image. So it is impossible for me to trace in CAD.

Is there a way to convert an image from perspective to orthogonal? Or create a coordinate system in cad that is perspective instead of orthogonal.

Answers and Replies

Baluncore
Science Advisor
2019 Award
Is there a way to convert an image from perspective to orthogonal?
I assume you have a 2D picture of a 3D world, with a perspective vanishing point that can be located in 2D. Do you want a 2D orthogonal or a 3D orthogonal image?

Or create a coordinate system in cad that is perspective instead of orthogonal.
Unless you specify the number of dimensions it is difficult to work out what mapping you are trying to perform.
A 3D orthogonal coordinate system from cad could be used to generate a 2D perspective drawing if you specified a viewpoint.

Well, the image is of a 3D world, but if I import the image into CAD it would be a projection onto the XY Plane. So I would say it is a 2D projection. If this helps. The image is a normal camera picture.

Baluncore
Science Advisor
2019 Award
So you want to convert a 2D perspective image of a 3D object to an orthoganal CAD object.
But do you want to convert that to a 2D or a 3D orthogonal CAD object ?

How many perspective 2D images do you have from different viewpoints of the one original 3D object ?
Does the imaged object have some geometric symmetry that could be used to regenerate a missing third dimension ?

I need to convert it into a 3D orthogonal CAD object. The object is geometric. It is simply but to recreate it would take lot of measurements. I can take as many pictures as I need.