Convert ppm to mg/L - Calculate Grams of A Needed

  • Thread starter Thread starter Cypher49
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 7K views
Cypher49
Messages
15
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A is a stable powder
B is water
C is the product of the powder being in contact with water.

A is soluble in substance B and for every gram of A 10% is C.

For a concentration of 0.5ppm of C in twenty liters of water how many grams of A do you need?


The Attempt at a Solution


I went on the assumption that ppm=mg/l.
So 0.5ppm=0.5mg/l, and I would need 10mg for the twenty liters
Which means that I would need 100mg of A.

Is this correct?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Cypher49 said:
I would need 100mg of A.

Is this correct?

That would be my answer as well, although I find the wording of the question confusing.
 
Thanks for the confirmation, I'm just replying to say that 100mg was indeed the correct answer.

If you don't mind me asking, how did the wording confuse you?
 
If 0.1g of A reacted with water, what is mass of the product? Again 0.1g? Not impossible, but counterintuitive, at least to me.