1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PH to ppm with ammonia chart/problem

1. Sep 5, 2011 #1
    I need some help calculating basic chemistry. I need to know how much ammonia I need to add to a volume of water to reach the appropriate pH level.

I have 50 cubic meters of demin water that I need to raise to a pH of 11. Volume is not flowing.
    I am using aqueous ammonia of 25% solution. I was able to find online that a pH of 11 is equal to 50 mg/L (not 100% sure).

This a two part question:
    How do I calculate the concentration of the solution based on the pH?
    How do I calculate the required volume to dose the 50 cubic meters to reach the pH of 11?

Also, does anyone have a pH vs mg/L (ppm) in a quick reference chart?

After some research I found some answers and it calculated (roughly) that I need 15 liters.

Thanks,

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2011 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Even if I believe you, giving a correct answer would be against forum rules.

Start here:

http://www.chembuddy.com/?left=pH-calculation&right=pH-weak-acid-base

While this is about calculating pH for known concentration, information there should help you calculate concentration for a given pH. pKb for ammonia is 4.75

Your ppms are terribly off, surprisingly, your volume is at least in the correct ballpark.

I shouldn't write it - but you can find answer pretty fast using my calculators, BATE & CASC.

4. Sep 6, 2011 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

One additional note: if it is about demineralized water used in the industrial settings, final pH will be different than just calculated from the ammonia concentration, as solution will absorb atmospheric carbon dioxide - that will lower the pH.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook