Converting an Integral to a Rieman Sum

In summary, to convert a typical integral into a Riemann Sum, one would partition the domain of integration into smaller intervals, select a point within each interval, and then form a sum of the function values multiplied by the interval widths. This method can be used to approximate the value of the integral using a finite number of subintervals.
smize
I know I should know this, but how would one convert a typical integral into a Rieman Sum?

0n sinx + x dx for whatever n.

for example.

Physics news on Phys.org
smize said:
I know I should know this, but how would one convert a typical integral into a Rieman Sum?

for example.

This function happens to be Riemann Integrable with closed form anti-derivatives: try using the fundamental theorem of calculus to get a closed form expression in terms of G(n) - G(0) where G(x) is the appropriate anti-derivative.

smize said:

for example.
Well, since the function [itex]\,f(x)=\sin x + x\,[/itex] is continuous everywhere, it is Riemann integrable in any finite

interval, and we can choose any partition for it we want, for example the partition
[tex]x_0=0\,,\,x_1=\frac{n}{k}\,,\,x_2=\frac{2n}{k},...,x_k=\frac{kn}{k}=n[/tex]
for the interval [itex]\,[0,n]\,[/itex] , thus

[tex]\int_0^n (\sin x +x)dx=\lim_{k\to\infty}\frac{1}{k}\sum_{i=1}^k \left( \sin \frac{in}{k}+\frac{in}{k} \right)[/tex]

DonAntonio

To add to Don Antonio's comment:

1) Partition your domain of integration [a,b] into a collection a=x0,

x1,...,xn=b .

2)Select a point xi* in each (xi-1,xi).

3)Form the sum Ʃi=1,..,Nf(xi*)(xi-xi-1)

In your case, f(xi*)=xi*+sin(xi*)

What is the purpose of converting an integral to a Riemann sum?

The purpose of converting an integral to a Riemann sum is to approximate the area under a curve using smaller, simpler shapes (usually rectangles). This allows for easier computation and a more accurate representation of the total area.

What are the steps to convert an integral to a Riemann sum?

The steps to convert an integral to a Riemann sum are:

1. Divide the interval of integration into smaller subintervals.
  2. Select a point within each subinterval.
  3. Use these points to create rectangles that cover the area under the curve.
  4. Calculate the area of each rectangle.
  5. Add up the areas of all the rectangles to get an approximation of the total area under the curve.

What is the difference between a left Riemann sum and a right Riemann sum?

The difference between a left Riemann sum and a right Riemann sum lies in the placement of the rectangles. In a left Riemann sum, the left endpoint of each subinterval is used to determine the height of the rectangle. In a right Riemann sum, the right endpoint of each subinterval is used instead. This can result in slightly different approximations of the total area under the curve.

What is the significance of taking a limit as the number of subintervals approaches infinity?

Taking a limit as the number of subintervals approaches infinity allows us to find the exact value of the integral. As the number of subintervals increases, the rectangles become smaller and the approximation of the total area becomes more accurate. Taking the limit ensures that we are considering all possible subintervals and their corresponding areas, resulting in the exact value of the integral.

What are some real-world applications of converting an integral to a Riemann sum?

Real-world applications of converting an integral to a Riemann sum include calculating the total distance traveled by an object with varying speed, determining the total volume of a three-dimensional shape with changing cross-sectional areas, and finding the total amount of work done by a force that varies over a given distance.