Converting complex power series into a function

In summary, the conversation discusses the region of convergence for a power series and the explicit function to which it converges. The first part is easily solved, while the second part requires using the sum of integrals or the Taylor expansion of the function. The conversation also praises the intelligence and knowledge-sharing on the site.
beefcake24
Hey guys, sorry for sending out so many questions so fast. I just discovered this site, and it looks great. Plus, I have my first complex analysis midterm tomorrow, so I'm pretty stressed (you'd think after 4 years of math/econ/computer science you'd get used to it but there's nothing like the first hard midterm of the semester to rattle your nerves :-) ). Anyway, I only have one last question, I promise.

Find the region of convergence of (sum of n from 1 to infinity) (n^2)*z^n, where z is a complex number. Then find explicitly the function to which this power series is convergent in the region of convergence.

The region of convergence was easy to do, I got |z| < 1 (i.e. the open unit disk). However, I'm completely stumped on the second part on how to represent the explicit function that this power series converges to. I think it either has to do something with the sum of the integrals or with the taylor expansion of that function to match this power series, but I have no idea where to go from there.

If you know how to do this or at least can point me in the general direction, it would be greatly appreciated, and I will try to reciprocate and answer any questions I see that I know how to do.

Thanks guys, and by the way, these forums are great, I love it when intelligent people get together and share knowledge, and I'm so happy I found this site. Definitely beats yahoo answers haha.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd probably start with something like
[tex]\sum_{n = 0}^\infty z^n = \frac{1}{1 - z}[/tex]
for |z| < 1, and look at its derivatives to get the factors of n in front.

E.g.
[tex]\frac{d^2}{dx^2} \sum_{n = 0}^\infty z^n = \sum_{n = 0}^\infty n^2 z^{n - 2} + \frac{1}{z} \sum_{n = 0}^\infty n z^{n - 1}[/tex]
and then do a bit of shifting and some more magic with the first derivative.

What is a power series?

A power series is an infinite series of the form $\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_nx^n$, where $a_n$ are coefficients and $x$ is a variable. This series represents a function that can be evaluated at any value of $x$, making it a useful tool in mathematics and physics.

Why is it important to convert a power series into a function?

Converting a power series into a function allows us to work with it in a more practical and manageable way. It also helps us understand the behavior of the function and make predictions about its values at different values of $x$.

What is the process for converting a power series into a function?

The process involves finding the function that the power series represents by using techniques such as integration, differentiation, and substitution. This allows us to rewrite the series in a form that can be evaluated at any value of $x$.

Can any power series be converted into a function?

Yes, as long as the coefficients of the series satisfy certain conditions, such as being convergent. However, the resulting function may not always be defined for all values of $x$, and may only be valid within a certain interval.

Why is it useful to convert a complex power series into a function?

Complex power series can represent functions that are much more complicated and interesting than simpler power series. By converting them into functions, we can gain insight into the behavior of complex functions and use them to solve problems in various fields of mathematics and science.