Converting Effective Mechanical Load to Newtons (Capybara)

In summary, the conversation discusses the EMA (effective mechanical advantage) of a capybara, which is 0.71, its mass of 55kg, and its average speed of ~3.0km/h. The focus then shifts to figuring out how many capybaras would be needed to overcome Friction * Normal force of ~125,000N. The answer given on Quora states that the EMA of a capybara is around 0.7, resulting in a force output of 700N. However, the individual is unsure of how this conversion was made and asks for help. They attempt to solve for the force of effort using the EMA formula, but realize that a capybara cannot
enigmaticbacon
TL;DR Summary
I have the EMA of the average capybara, and I'm trying to figure out the maximum force one can exert given that EMA.
Hello again!
I've found the capybara's EMA to be 0.71. Their mass to be 55kg. And their average speed to be ~3.0km/h.

I want to figure out how many capybaras it would take to overcome Friction * Normal force of ~125,000N. How would I go about doing that?

https://www.quora.com/How-many-capy...wheeled-chariot-across-the-Bolivian-altiplano

The answer of a Quora question states:
EMA of a capybara is around 0.7. That would give us a force output of around 700N.

But I have no idea how they converted from EMA to a force output in Newtons. Can anyone help me?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I know that EMA is = Fload/Feffort

I thought I could rearrange the variables to solve for the Force of Effort. But that obviously didn't work. A capybara cannot pull 88750N.

Don't you already have a thread going on this set of questions?

I do, but I figured out some stuff since and it felt like a different question? I assumed for a different question, I'd make a different post :) Sorry, new to this forum.

No worries. Please keep this discussion in your original thread. Otherwise it gets too confusing and fragmented for others to keep up. Thanks. :smile:

Oh, and please define the acronym EMA unless it's obvious in your other thread (I don't remember), and if EMA has units, please include those. Thanks. :smile:

Likes enigmaticbacon

1. How do you convert effective mechanical load to Newtons?

To convert effective mechanical load to Newtons, you need to know the formula: F = m * a, where F is the force in Newtons, m is the mass in kilograms, and a is the acceleration in meters per second squared. Simply plug in the values and solve for F to get the force in Newtons.

2. What is the relationship between effective mechanical load and Newtons?

Effective mechanical load and Newtons are directly proportional. This means that as the effective mechanical load increases, the force in Newtons also increases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the formula F = m * a.

3. Can you convert effective mechanical load to Newtons for any object?

Yes, the formula F = m * a can be used to convert effective mechanical load to Newtons for any object, as long as you know the mass and acceleration of the object. This formula is a fundamental principle in physics and applies to all objects.

4. How do you measure effective mechanical load?

Effective mechanical load can be measured using a variety of tools and methods, depending on the specific situation. For example, a spring scale can be used to measure the force applied to an object, and this force can then be used to calculate the effective mechanical load. Other methods may include using strain gauges or load cells.

5. Why is it important to convert effective mechanical load to Newtons?

Converting effective mechanical load to Newtons is important because it allows us to quantify and understand the amount of force being applied to an object. This is crucial in many fields, such as engineering, where knowing the force on a structure or machine is necessary for ensuring its safety and proper functioning. It also allows us to make comparisons and predictions, as the Newton is a standardized unit of force that is recognized worldwide.