Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Converting from mag to electronic

1. May 19, 2006 #1

wolram

Gold Member

Ok magnetoes are fine buit expensive to keep in A1 condition, so i want to convert to electronic, i have the means to manufacture the body to hold the new mechanism, and guess i can tailor it to fit some prop trigger mechanism
    for the LT, the problem is a control for maping the required advance/retard,
    i am quite niffty with a soldering iron, so i think i could build the electronics,
    but how do i go about maping it to the engine?

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2006 #2

wolram

Gold Member

This is for a single cylinder engine

4. May 19, 2006 #3
    Any expanded Blue Prints of the Engine?

Model:
    Type:
    Year:
    Spects:

5. May 19, 2006 #4

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

So you're first hurdle would be to get some kind of cam sensor to dictate the firing...right? It's been a while since I have dealt with this stuff. For a single cylinder, is it really that beneficial to give yourself a lead/retard on the firing?

6. May 19, 2006 #5

wolram

Gold Member

It sure is for cold starting Fred, and performance of course, i have several ways i could go,manual advance /retard mag, Points/coil, electronic.
    If i can find an electronic pick up i can make an adapter housing drive shaft ect, the electronics seem simple, apart from the advance/retard, i think i need some sort of feed back to the circuit ie engine rpm but that could come from the pick up i think, or maybe i could buy a (black box) off the shelf,
    all very much up in the air at the minute, i could buy a ready made convertion but that comes to 500 UK+.

7. May 19, 2006 #6

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

You would have to vary the advance/retard based on throttle position as well as engine RPM I would think. Back when I worked in automotive powertrain, I remember quite a few parameters were involved in the calculations the engine PCM would do to adjust it. I think that RPM would be the bare minimum if your load increases steadily with RPM. If not, I think you'd have to work in throttle position as well.

8. May 19, 2006 #7

wolram

Gold Member

9. May 19, 2006 #8

wolram

Gold Member

This site is akin to what i will
    try to make, it seems all i need for the trigger is an hall effect sensor, this could be possitioned to pick up on some rotating
    engine part, i think i will need an rpm sensor (trigger) and a electronic vacuum sensor for best results.

http://www.realclassic.co.uk/techfiles/tech03061700.html

Mapping the curve is still the headache, this site says 1 degree per 100 rpm
    for this bike.

The multi spark option ie the plug fires several times sounds good .

10. May 19, 2006 #9

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I know cam sensors are indeed hall effect sensors on larger engines.

I'm gonna have to do some reading here.

11. May 20, 2006 #10

wolram

Gold Member

Sorry Intuitive i missed this post.

Model: velocette
    Type: MAC
    Year: 1960
    cc: 349
    Compression ratio: 6.75 to one
    Carburetter: 15/16 Amal
    Electrics: 6v

12. May 20, 2006 #11
    Ah yes, a Velocette, have your tried posting this on the "Brit Bike Forum"?
    Cheers,
    RG500

13. May 20, 2006 #12
    Hi Wolram.

What's the Stator count on your Magneto?

I have seen ones with 4 Stators and some up to 10 Stators on the Stator Ring.

Are you using a rebuilt original Magneto or are you using a Modern cross referenced Magneto?

14. May 20, 2006 #13

wolram

Gold Member

It looks like the original mag, i have asked around, and it seems the auto
    advance on these lucas type kif mags have always had problems, the auto advance is type jy16a, and most tend to fit a mag with manual advance.

I have not taken the mag apart, as after reading 10s of peoples problems
    with this mag, i decided it would be best to go electronic.

15. May 20, 2006 #14

wolram

Gold Member

I just spent an enjoyable hour on that forum, great place RG500:smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?