1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Converting numbers (binary and so on)

1. Apr 5, 2009 #1
    Anyone can help me to solve the problem?

how to convert 0.65 (decimal numbers) to binary,octal and hexadecimal numbers?
    thx..=)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2009 #2
  4. Apr 5, 2009 #3

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I would first convert 0.65 into a proper fraction of the lowest common denominator in base 10, convert the numerator and denominator to the new base, then do long division.

0.65 = 65/100 = 13/20 ----> 1101/101002 = 15/248 = D/1416

Of course, you have to know how to do long division in the different bases.

5. Apr 8, 2009 #4
    After you've converted 0.65 to binary, there's a shortcut to convert it to octal and hex. Just group the bits into 3s (for octal) and 4s (for hex). For example, 0.101 would be 0.5 in octal and 0.A in hex.

By the way, you can also check your binary answer with the decimal/binary converter I wrote: http://www.exploringbinary.com/binary-converter/ . It is arbitrary precision, which means you can convert very large and very small numbers.

6. Apr 8, 2009 #5
    That would be the best way to do it in a computer, but I'd say the "repeated multiplication by new base" method works best for humans!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook