Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Converting rx in spherical coordinates to cartesian.

1. Sep 10, 2006 #1
    I have no idea how to do this. I've tried alot of things but I can never reduce it to solely cartesian coordinates. Is there any hard fast procedure to conversions like this? thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2006 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

what's rx?

4. Sep 10, 2006 #3
    Is is a component of the vector I am working to convert to cartesian coordinates.

5. Sep 11, 2006 #4

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Do you know the formulas for conversion from Cartesian to spherical coordinates?

[tex]x= \rho cos(\theta)sin(\phi)[/tex]
    [tex]y= \rho sin(\theta)sin(\phi)[/tex]
    [tex]z= \rho cos(\phi)[/tex]

[tex]\rho= \sqrt{x^2+ y^2+ z^2}[/tex]
    [tex]\theta= arctan(\frac{y}{z})[/tex]
    [tex]\phi= arctan(\frac{z}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}})[/tex]

The x-component of a vector is just the x coordinate of the corresponding point.

6. Sep 11, 2006 #5
    Yes I have these. Except where ever yours have rho, I have r. That's ok. So can I just say that (rx), or (px) with your equations, is equal to [tex]x\sqrt{x^2+ y^2+ z^2}[/tex]

? That seems too easy.

7. Sep 11, 2006 #6
    Let's say your vector in spherical coordinates is:
    [tex] \vec S = (S_R, S_\theta, S_\phi) [/tex]

and cartesian,
    [tex] \vec C = (C_x, C_y, C_z) [/itex]

Now if you want the x-component of [itex] \vec C [/itex] you use the dot product, [itex] \vec C \cdot \hat x [/itex], where [itex] \hat x = (1,0,0) [/itex] (in cartesian coordinates).

Now if you want the x-component of [itex] \vec S [/itex] you use the dot product, [itex] \vec S \cdot \hat x [/itex].

You need to express the unit vectors in the different coordinate system though. You can do this with geometry.

That makes it a little bit more difficult for you.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook