Velocity Vector Transformation from Cartesian to Spherical Coordinates

In summary, the author is looking for a way to convert a cartesian vector velocity to spherical vector coordinates without the extra steps of calculating things such as theta or d_theta/dt. They tried using the first matrix formulation in the spherical coordinates section to get their spherical coordinate vector in terms of x,y,z, but they are only getting a +Phi direction. Additionally, they think they missed a simple mistake in their original formula for s[t].
Ebarval
TL;DR Summary
There's nowhere online that has a simple matrix transformation from a cartesian velocity vector to a spherical velocity vector
Hi all,

I can't find a single thing online that translates a cartesian velocity vector directly to spherical vector coordinate system.
If I am given a cartesian point in space with a cartesian vector velocity and I want to convert it straight to spherical coordinates without the extra steps of calculating things such as theta or d_theta/dt .
Looking at the wiki I have a few problems:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_fields_in_cylindrical_and_spherical_coordinates

I tried using the first matrix formulation in the spherical coordinates section to get my spherical coordinate vector in terms of x,y,z.
Then I take the derivative with respect to time of this to find the spherical velocity vector with respect to x,y,z, dx/dt, dy/dt, dz,dt.

I input a location in space with only an x value {a,0,0} and a cartesian velocity with only y & z components {0,vy,vz} at this cartesian location.
I would expect that a this is like being at the equator of a sphere with radius a so we'd have {a, Pi/2, 0}. Then a velocity in the y and z direction only corresponds to a velocity in the -Theta and -Phi direction.
However, I am only getting a +Phi direction. What's going wrong here?

Additionally, in the wiki article, the last equation for Adot has the terms Ar_dot, Atheta_dot, & Aphi_dot. But doesn't give any formulation for them. From what I understand, perhaps what I did above is just fine r_dot, theta_dot & phi_dot. But then where are the Adots?

Attachments

• CarttoSpher.PNG
    CarttoSpher.PNG
    19.3 KB · Views: 277
Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind!
Looks like I missed a simple mistake in my original formula for s[t]. I did not have a [t] on the z[t] for the theta term.
I believe it works now.
Although the wikipedia page is still too convoluted to help anyone

Do you think you can figure out how to express the Cartesian unit vectors in term of the unit vectors is spherical coordinates?

1. What is the purpose of transforming a velocity vector from Cartesian to Spherical coordinates?

The purpose of transforming a velocity vector from Cartesian to Spherical coordinates is to represent the velocity in a different coordinate system that may be more suitable for a particular problem or analysis. This transformation can also help simplify calculations and provide a more intuitive understanding of the velocity vector.

2. How is the velocity vector transformed from Cartesian to Spherical coordinates?

The velocity vector can be transformed from Cartesian to Spherical coordinates using a set of equations that involve the coordinates and unit vectors in both systems. These equations take into account the direction and magnitude of the velocity vector in each coordinate system to determine the new components of the vector in Spherical coordinates.

3. What are the main differences between Cartesian and Spherical coordinates?

The main differences between Cartesian and Spherical coordinates are the way they represent points in space and the unit vectors used. Cartesian coordinates use x, y, and z coordinates and unit vectors in the x, y, and z directions, while Spherical coordinates use a radial distance, an angle from the positive z-axis, and an angle in the xy-plane, along with unit vectors in these directions.

4. When should I use Cartesian coordinates versus Spherical coordinates for velocity vectors?

Cartesian coordinates are often used for simpler problems and when the direction of the velocity vector is important. Spherical coordinates are useful for problems involving spherical symmetry or when the direction of the velocity vector is not as important as its magnitude. It is important to choose the coordinate system that is most appropriate for the specific problem at hand.

5. Are there any limitations to transforming a velocity vector from Cartesian to Spherical coordinates?

Yes, there are limitations to transforming a velocity vector from Cartesian to Spherical coordinates. This transformation assumes that the velocity vector is continuous and differentiable, and that the coordinate systems are orthogonal. If these assumptions are not met, the transformation may not accurately represent the velocity vector and could lead to errors in calculations.