Converting sail drive force to boat speed for Hartley TS16

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter t03y
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
t03y
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hello,

My name is Michael, and I have been working out some stuff which is to do with my boat, Hartley TS16. I have worked out the boats sail drive in different wind speeds etc. and have done so in KGF. Is there any way which I can convert this force into speed? I also have worked out relevant drag coefficients for relative wind speeds and lee heel.

I have a spreadsheet with all the details (no forumals etc. just data), if it would help I can send that to a few people.

If so, could someone please help me convert the following forces into speed (m/s, km/h is fine) - listen in kgf and lb, for your convenience

(kgf) (lb)
3 | 7
7 | 28
20 | 44
29 | 64
39 | 86
51 | 113
68 | 149
83 | 184
71 | 156
82 | 180
92 | 204

Anyway just to solve curiosity this is the boat:
10-107.jpg
 
Attachments
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is not a mathematics question, it is a physics question so I am moving it.

Nice boat, by the way. I am tempted to suspect that you posted this question just to show off the boat!