Convex mirrors - Sign convention trouble

In summary, the problem involved solving for the object distance (do) using a convex mirror and the equation 1/f = 1/do + 1/di. The attempt at a solution resulted in a negative value for do, indicating that the object would be behind the mirror. However, upon further observation, it was realized that this is not possible for a convex mirror. The mistake was due to an incorrect understanding of the sign conventions for convex mirrors.
Elbobo

Homework Statement

I solved the problem, but upon further observation, I discovered that what I did didn't make sense.

(these are rounded numbers, which shouldn't make a difference in my question)
do = 13 cm (do is what I solved for in the problem, and according to the online system it was correct)
f = 24 cm
di = 33 cm

(the man is facing a convex mirror with his image behind the mirror)

Homework Equations

1/f = 1/do + 1/di

The Attempt at a Solution

Since this is a convex mirror, f and di should be negative. Yet, it doesn't make sense with those conventions.

1/f = 1/do + 1/di
1/do = 1/f - 1/di
1/do = (1/-24) - (1/-33)
do = -88 cm,

which means the object is behind the mirror and my methodology was inconsistent.

Where is the issue? Is it just an inconsistency with sign conventions by them?

Physics news on Phys.org
In the convex mirror, the image cannot be formed beyond the focal length.

OH! I finally see what I did wrong. I wasn't thinking and at the moment thought that the hubcap is normally viewed as convex. Now I see...

Last edited:

What is a convex mirror?

A convex mirror is a type of spherical mirror that has a reflective surface that curves outward. It is often referred to as a diverging mirror, as it causes light rays to spread out or diverge as they reflect off the surface.

How does a convex mirror form an image?

A convex mirror forms a virtual image, which means the image appears to be behind the mirror and cannot be projected onto a screen. The image is formed due to the reflection of light rays off the curved surface, causing them to spread out and appear smaller than the object being reflected.

What is the sign convention used for convex mirrors?

The sign convention for convex mirrors follows the Cartesian coordinate system, where the object is placed to the left of the mirror and the reflected image is on the right. The distance of the object is denoted as positive, while the distance of the image is negative.

Why is there a sign convention for convex mirrors?

The sign convention for convex mirrors is used to determine the characteristics of the image formed, such as its size and orientation. By following this convention, it allows for consistent calculations and predictions of the image formed by convex mirrors.

What are the common mistakes made with the sign convention for convex mirrors?

The most common mistake made when using the sign convention for convex mirrors is forgetting to include the negative sign when calculating the image distance. Another mistake is using the image distance as the object distance, which would result in incorrect calculations and predictions of the image formed.