1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Placing object between 2 spherical mirrors

1. Mar 29, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A concave mirror (f1 = 13.6 cm) and a convex mirror (f2 = −7.00 cm) are facing each other and are separated by a distance of 35.8 cm. An object is placed between the mirrors and is 17.9 cm from each mirror. Consider the light from the object that reflects first from the concave mirror and then from the convex mirror. What is the distance of the image (di2) produced by the convex mirror?

2. Relevant equations
    1/do + 1/i = 1/f

3. The attempt at a solution

The image created by the concave mirror will act as the object for the convex mirror. Plugging in the values for do and f for the concave mirror I got di = 56.6cm . Therefore, the do for the convex mirror will be 56.6-35.8 (distance mirrors are seperated by) = 20.8 . Lastly, I just plugged this value and the focal length of the convex mirror into 1/do + 1/i = 1/f and got -5.24cm as di2

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2017 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Does the image at 56.6 cm appear in front of or behind of the convex mirror? You should draw a ray diagram.

4. Mar 29, 2017 #3
    I drew one out and it appears that the image forms behind the convex mirror. So this would be a virtual object does that mean I should have made 20.8 negative?

5. Mar 29, 2017 #4

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted