Placing object between 2 spherical mirrors

In summary, a concave mirror with a focal length of 13.6 cm and a convex mirror with a focal length of -7.00 cm are facing each other and have a distance of 35.8 cm between them. An object placed 17.9 cm from each mirror will create an image of 56.6 cm in front of the concave mirror. This image will act as the object for the convex mirror, which will produce a virtual image with a distance of -5.24 cm. The ray diagram shows that the image appears behind the convex mirror, indicating that the object distance of 20.8 cm for the convex mirror should be made negative.
ilovejava

Homework Statement

A concave mirror (f1 = 13.6 cm) and a convex mirror (f2 = −7.00 cm) are facing each other and are separated by a distance of 35.8 cm. An object is placed between the mirrors and is 17.9 cm from each mirror. Consider the light from the object that reflects first from the concave mirror and then from the convex mirror. What is the distance of the image (di2) produced by the convex mirror?

Homework Equations

1/do + 1/i = 1/f

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
The image created by the concave mirror will act as the object for the convex mirror. Plugging in the values for do and f for the concave mirror I got di = 56.6cm . Therefore, the do for the convex mirror will be 56.6-35.8 (distance mirrors are separated by) = 20.8 . Lastly, I just plugged this value and the focal length of the convex mirror into 1/do + 1/i = 1/f and got -5.24cm as di2

Physics news on Phys.org
Does the image at 56.6 cm appear in front of or behind of the convex mirror? You should draw a ray diagram.

kuruman said:
Does the image at 56.6 cm appear in front of or behind of the convex mirror? You should draw a ray diagram.
I drew one out and it appears that the image forms behind the convex mirror. So this would be a virtual object does that mean I should have made 20.8 negative?

ilovejava said:
I drew one out and it appears that the image forms behind the convex mirror. So this would be a virtual object does that mean I should have made 20.8 negative?
Yes.

1. How does placing an object between two spherical mirrors affect light reflection?

When an object is placed between two spherical mirrors, the light rays emitted from the object reflect off the mirrors multiple times. This creates an infinite number of reflections, resulting in an infinite number of images of the object. These images gradually decrease in size and become more distorted as they move away from the original object.

2. What is the difference between concave and convex mirrors in this setup?

Concave mirrors are curved inward and have a reflective surface on the inside, while convex mirrors are curved outward and have a reflective surface on the outside. When an object is placed between two concave mirrors, the images produced are virtual and magnified. On the other hand, when an object is placed between two convex mirrors, the images produced are virtual and diminished.

3. Can objects be placed at any distance between the two mirrors?

No, the distance between the two mirrors must be larger than the radius of the mirrors. If the object is placed too close to the mirrors, the images will overlap and become distorted. If the object is placed too far away, the images will become too small to be seen.

4. How does the size of the mirrors affect the images produced?

The larger the mirrors, the more reflections and images will be produced. This means that the images will be smaller and more distorted. Conversely, smaller mirrors will produce fewer images that are larger and less distorted.

5. What happens if one of the mirrors is concave and the other is convex?

In this scenario, the images produced will be real and inverted. The number of images produced will depend on the curvature of the mirrors and the distance between them. The images will also become smaller and more distorted as they move away from the original object.