Convex Polyhedron: half-planes to triangular mesh

In summary, the conversation is about finding documentation on obtaining a triangularization of a convex polyhedron defined by the intersection of several half-planes. The person is seeking a cheaper and easier method to do so, possibly using the plane equations and intersection points. Suggestions such as using the voronoi diagram or delaunay triangulation are also mentioned.
nusuto
Hello!

I'm trying to find some information about my problem but it doesn't seem very easy.
1 - I have a convex polyhedron defined as the intersection of several half-planes.
2- Now I would like to obtain a triangularization of the polyhedron surface in the best way.
Can anyone indicate me where to find any documentation about it?
Thank you very much for your help.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Have you got the information about any points? What about the voronoi diagram or delaunay triangulation?

I only have the plane equations. Of course, I can find the intersection points to obtain the vertex of the polyhedron. With them, I can construct, for example, a convex hull with trangular faces (I'm always talking in 3D). However, I was looking for a cheaper and easy way to do it.

1. What is a convex polyhedron?

A convex polyhedron is a three-dimensional geometric shape with flat faces, straight edges, and sharp corners. It is a type of polyhedron where all of its angles are less than or equal to 180 degrees, and all of its faces are convex (meaning they do not have any indentations or holes).

2. What are half-planes in relation to a convex polyhedron?

Half-planes are geometric shapes that are divided by a straight line into two parts. In relation to a convex polyhedron, half-planes are used to represent the faces of the polyhedron. Each half-plane corresponds to a face of the polyhedron, and together they form the boundary of the polyhedron.

3. How are half-planes used to create a triangular mesh?

In order to create a triangular mesh from a convex polyhedron, the half-planes representing the faces of the polyhedron are intersected with each other. This creates a series of triangular faces that make up the surface of the polyhedron. The resulting triangular mesh is a more detailed representation of the original convex polyhedron.

4. What are some applications of using half-planes to create a triangular mesh?

One application of creating a triangular mesh from a convex polyhedron is in computer graphics and animation. The triangular mesh can be used to create 3D models of objects, characters, and environments. It can also be used in computational geometry for solving problems involving geometric shapes and surfaces.

5. What are the advantages of using half-planes to represent a convex polyhedron?

Using half-planes to represent a convex polyhedron allows for a more efficient and accurate representation of the shape. It also allows for easier manipulation and transformation of the polyhedron, as well as the ability to easily create a detailed triangular mesh. Additionally, half-planes provide a more intuitive way to understand the structure and properties of the convex polyhedron.