Estimating the FOV of a thin sliced plano-convex cylindrical lens

In summary, a cylindrical lens with a focal length of 12.5mm and a viewing angle of 6.35x13mm will have a field of view of approximately 100°.
heapsian
I've scoured the internet, books I have available, and forums, but I can't seem to find any information regarding the field of view of a plano-convex cylindrical lens.

The lens in question would be a 1/4" slice from something like a 26x13mm lens. The dimensions would then become 6.35x13mm, with a 12.5mm focal length. The idea is to use this thin lens to essentially view in near 1D or a single plane. The thin section should only gather light in a slim viewing angle, while the much wider curved portion of the lens has a wider viewing angle.

Does anyone know of any formulas, diagrams, or information that would help me figure out what field of view this type of lens would have?

Thanks.

Science news on Phys.org
A lens by itself will usually have a very large FOV, as there is nothing restricting the maximum angle of the incoming rays except perhaps internal reflections from the lens itself. If you want to restrict the FOV, you need to introduce a stop into your system. To find the FOV, place your stop either before or after the lens and do a raytrace to find the maximum angle of the rays that will pass through. Have you done any raytraces like this before?

heapsian said:
The idea is to use this thin lens to essentially view in near 1D or a single plane.

I'm not quite sure what this means. Are you attempting to use this lens visually?

Hello and thanks for your reponse. To answer your last question first, no, I'm using this lens to collect light for machine vision and processing in combination with a linear sensor.

I suppose I understand what you are inferring about the FOV of a lens and the incident rays, perhaps I should have rephrased my initial description. For example, a normal lens is listed something like S-mount, wide angle, 130°, 2.5mm focal length, for a 1/3" sensor. But when looking at specs for cylindrical lenses, there's nothing describing the viewing angle. Is this because the potential applications for a cylindrical lens is usually for line generation instead?

I'm unfamiliar with what you mean by placing a "stop" to do a raytrace. I've never done that. There are a few different lenses on their way to me in the mail that I plan to experiment with.

heapsian said:
I suppose I understand what you are inferring about the FOV of a lens and the incident rays, perhaps I should have rephrased my initial description. For example, a normal lens is listed something like S-mount, wide angle, 130°, 2.5mm focal length, for a 1/3" sensor. But when looking at specs for cylindrical lenses, there's nothing describing the viewing angle. Is this because the potential applications for a cylindrical lens is usually for line generation instead?

Well, I'm not familiar with cylindrical lenses, but for the "normal" lens you listed the FOV is determined by the size and placement of the sensor. Rays just outside that FOV still make it through the lens, they just don't fall onto the sensor array.

Your cylindrical lenses still follow the same pattern, they will just have two different FOV values, one for each dimension. You can do a raytrace to determine the maximum angle of the rays that will reach your sensor in each dimension if you know how.

heapsian said:
I'm unfamiliar with what you mean by placing a "stop" to do a raytrace. I've never done that. There are a few different lenses on their way to me in the mail that I plan to experiment with.

Based on what you said in your original post, I'm assuming you've never done raytraces on paper before? And I don't mean just drawing a diagram, but actually performing the calculations to determine where a ray will go after passing through each surface of a lens.

1. What is the FOV of a thin sliced plano-convex cylindrical lens?

The FOV (field of view) of a lens is the maximum area that can be captured by the lens. For a thin sliced plano-convex cylindrical lens, the FOV will depend on its focal length and the size of the image sensor it is paired with. It can range from a few degrees to over 180 degrees.

2. How do you estimate the FOV of a thin sliced plano-convex cylindrical lens?

To estimate the FOV of a lens, you will need to know its focal length and the size of the image sensor. Then, you can use the formula FOV = 2 * arctan(d/2f), where d is the diagonal size of the image sensor and f is the focal length of the lens. This will give you the FOV in radians, which can be converted to degrees by multiplying by 180/π.

3. Are there any other factors that can affect the FOV of a thin sliced plano-convex cylindrical lens?

Yes, there are a few other factors that can affect the FOV of a lens. These include the diameter of the lens, the distance between the lens and the image sensor, and any distortions or aberrations in the lens. Additionally, the FOV can also be affected by the curvature of the lens and the refractive index of the material it is made of.

4. Can the FOV of a thin sliced plano-convex cylindrical lens be changed?

Yes, the FOV of a lens can be changed by adjusting its focal length or by using additional optical elements such as a teleconverter or a fisheye converter. These can increase or decrease the FOV, depending on the desired effect. However, for a thin sliced plano-convex cylindrical lens, the FOV will primarily depend on its inherent properties and cannot be easily changed.

5. Can the FOV of a thin sliced plano-convex cylindrical lens be measured or calculated before purchasing?

Yes, the FOV of a lens can be measured or calculated before purchasing by using the formula mentioned above. However, the actual FOV may vary slightly from the estimated value due to manufacturing tolerances and other external factors. It is always recommended to consult the manufacturer's specifications or test the lens before making a purchase for accurate FOV information.