1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convexity of continuous real function, midpoint convex

1. Sep 8, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Assume f is a continuous real function defined in (a,b) such that f([tex]\frac{x+y}{2}[/tex])<=[tex]\frac{f(x)+f(y)}{2}[/tex] for all x,y in(a,b) then f is convex.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    my attempt is to suppose there are 3 points p<r<q such that f(r)>g(r), where g(x) is the straight line connecting (p,f(p)) and (q,f(q)), and get a contradiction.
    1, There exists a neighborhood of r such that any x in N(r) implies that f(x)>g(x), followed by continuity.
    2, Let E_0={p,q}, define E_1 = E_0[tex]\cup[/tex]{x | x is a mid point of any two points in E_0}. we continue this procedure and let E= union of all E_n.
    3, For any points x in E, f(x)<=g(x), which can be proved straightforwardly
    4, then we can find a point t in E which is also in N(r) such that f(x)<=g(x), if E is proved to be dense in [p,q].
    5, we get a contradiction.

Question 1, I got stuck when I came to prove that E is dense in [p,q], it is jammed...Could anyone give me some hint to prove E is dense?

Question 2, Is there any other way(easier or harder are both welcome) to prove it?

Question 3, by the way, how can I determine whether a point belongs to Cantor set or not? Say, 1/4?1/5?

Thanks a lot!
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2008 #2
    well, I think I know how to prove that E is dense in [p,q] by the following steps:
    suppose there exist a point in [p,q] and a neighborhood associated with it, such that N_0[tex]\cap[/tex]E = empty, and diam(N_1)=d, then I can always find another segment N_1, where diam(N_1)=2d... suppose we have find that N_n such that diam(N_n)=(2^n)*d. If diam(N_n)>(q-p)/2, the point (q+p)/2 is in N_n, contradicting that (q+p)/2 is also in E.
    Hence E is dense in [p,q].

so, any other way to prove it? I think it could be done in an easier way...
  4. Sep 10, 2008 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you can prove it a lot more simply. You've picked r so f(r)>g(r). The set of all x such that f(x)>g(x) is open (since both functions are continuous). So there's an open interval around r in the set. Take the endpoints of the open interval to be x and y. Doesn't that work? I don't see why you have to worry about any set being dense.
  5. Sep 10, 2008 #4
    This is cool! I didn't realize it... Thanks a lot
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?