1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convolution and space-time Fourier transform

1. Aug 18, 2015 #1
    Hi,

I have a general function u(x,y,z,t). Then, (1) what would be the space-time Fourier transform of G⊗(∂nu/∂tn) and (2) would the relation G⊗(∂nu/∂tn) = ∂n(G⊗u)/∂tn hold true? Here, note that the symbol ⊗ represents convolution and G is a function of (x,y,z) only (i.e. it does not depend on time).

Any answer would appreciated. Thanks!!

-Chandra

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2015 #2

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Chandra,

Most of your question is answered by applying the properties of Fourier transforms, all of which are, for exmaple, at:
    http://fourier.eng.hmc.edu/e101/lectures/handout3/node2.html
    including the convolution theorem (in link above and in this link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convolution_theorem )
    and a knowledge of the Fourier transform of a derivative.
    Here you are essentially asking a question about interchanging differentiation and integration. As an engineer, I typically deal with "nice" functions for which this holds (indeed, I assume it holds!), but it doesn't always hold for any choice of functions. I cannot help you much more than that - sorry!
    jason

4. Aug 23, 2015 #3
    Dear Jason,

Thanks for your suggestions. In fact, I was a bit confused because of involvement of both space and time in the Fourier transform. Anyway, I did it (hopefully correctly) by taking Fourier transforms two times; first, I took the transform with respect to space, and then with respect to time. As for the 2nd question, "u" is not a very nice function--it does not converge to zero when x,y,z-->INFINITY. So, currently I am looking at whether I can use generalized Fourier Transforms to deal with it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook