Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cooker broke after lightning storm

1. Jul 10, 2006 #1

wolram

Gold Member

:grumpy: Ever since a lightning storm (last week) my cooker will not go for more than 5 minutes, i set the power and 5 minutes later it sounds an alarm,
    now i know it has a timer on it but i can not get it to disengage, the buttons i have are, minut minder, cook period, end time, manual, - and +, i have tried
    all sorts of combinations but i can not kill the ***** alarm, and it is taking ages to cook any thing.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2006 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

It's obvious your cooker is now hovering between two dimensions. I think I saw a show about something similar on the Outer Limits. I'd worry about eating anything out of it, you could start to "phaze" into another dimension. :bugeye:

4. Jul 10, 2006 #3

wolram

Gold Member

Now you mention it i do get light headed when i am cooking, and there are these rumbling sounds :uhh:

5. Jul 10, 2006 #4

wolram

Gold Member

So there is no cooker experts here ?? it is a good cooker when it works.

6. Jul 10, 2006 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Man i love wolram's posts

Last edited: Jul 10, 2006
  7. Jul 10, 2006 #6

Lisa!

Gold Member

wolfram? :bugeye:Is there any joke in that that I'm missing?
    I thought pengwuino is an expert in everything regarded to food and eating...

8. Jul 10, 2006 #7

Pengwuino

Gold Member

What are you on? :biggrin:

Im an expert in everything regarding eating... food on hte other hand..

9. Jul 10, 2006 #8

wolram

Gold Member

I am usually good at fixing stuff but not domestic stuff, no jokes, the hob still works so i do not want to make things worse, there must be a sequence to press the buttons in.

10. Jul 10, 2006 #9

Evo

I guess you have unplugged it and let it sit for awhile?

11. Jul 10, 2006 #10

wolram

Gold Member

Yep, it must have lost power for maybe an hour when the storm struck, now it seems to be stuck in timer mode.

12. Jul 10, 2006 #11

Evo

Have you tried unplugging it again? Sounds like some of the circuitry is fried though. :frown:

13. Jul 10, 2006 #12

wolram

Gold Member

I am thinking the same, so i will be bringing some wire ect from work and start bypassing stuff untill it does some thing, who needs a timer any way.

14. Jul 10, 2006 #13

Danger

Gold Member

Here, the term 'cooker' implies a crockpot or steamer unit. What is it that you're referring to? Microwave, electric oven, hotplate...? And I have no idea what a 'hob' is. :confused:

15. Jul 10, 2006 #14

wolram

Gold Member

Danger it is an electric oven.

16. Jul 10, 2006 #15

Danger

Gold Member

Ah... should be quite simple to bypass the timer, then. Spring the half-quid or whatever for a little mechanical egg-timer if you don't have an alarm on your watch. :biggrin:

17. Jul 10, 2006 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, it's the thing you "knob" with of course. :biggrin:

From Wollie's other kitchen disaster thread (he's starting to sound like Pengwuino), I've deduced that a hob is likely the stovetop burners, while the cooker is the oven part. Still waiting for the English to English dictionary to help interpret these threads.

18. Jul 10, 2006 #17

wolram

Gold Member

You, do not need it MoonB:smile: And what other kitchen disaster:confused:

19. Jul 10, 2006 #18

wolram

Gold Member

Oh, the fryer, that was just a hiccup.

20. Jul 11, 2006 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's not what your mom said. :biggrin: But, yeah, that's what I was referring to.

21. Jul 11, 2006 #20

wolram

Gold Member

Ok, on tv, when some one (the hero) is dis arming a bomb, there is all ways a guy on a radio telling him whitch wire to cut first, second, etc, every bomb ever made has a coded blue print, (why), any way the wires to the control
    (detonation circuit) in my cooker are all efing black:grumpy: and they go in diverse directions, so to trace them i would have to disemble the whole*****cooker, cookers should be designed by bomb makers :grumpy:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?