Cookies expiring early on Firefox 3?

• Thread starter CRGreathouse
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Firefox
In summary, the user's login cookies for sites like physicsforums.com only last for around 5 minutes, instead of the usual 1 year duration. This issue started when Firefox updated to version 3 and has not been a problem for their other computer running FF3. The cookie editor still shows the proper date, but the login does not last long enough for the user to make a post. Another user is also experiencing similar issues, as seen in a thread in the feedback section. It is suggested to check the privacy settings and potentially download and reinstall FF3 to address any potential buggy builds.
CRGreathouse
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
My login cookies (for sites like, say, physicsforums.com) seem to last only ~5 minutes instead of the usual long duration (1 year, in the case of PF). This started happening exactly when Firefox updated to version 3. This hasn't been a problem with my other computer which has been running FF3 for some time now.

Any thoughts? The cookie editor still lists the proper date on the bbpassword cookies, but I'm not even sure the login will last long enough for me to make this post.

Computer science news on Phys.org
CRGreathouse said:
My login cookies (for sites like, say, physicsforums.com) seem to last only ~5 minutes instead of the usual long duration (1 year, in the case of PF). This started happening exactly when Firefox updated to version 3. This hasn't been a problem with my other computer which has been running FF3 for some time now.

Any thoughts? The cookie editor still lists the proper date on the bbpassword cookies, but I'm not even sure the login will last long enough for me to make this post.

See
Tools > Options > Privacy

hmmm all sites? My FF3 works fine. Maybe download and reinstall, maybe had a buggy build.

Greg Bernhardt said:
hmmm all sites? My FF3 works fine. Maybe download and reinstall, maybe had a buggy build.

Well I thought it was all sites -- but I just saw that overnight mymathforum.com stayed logged in, while physicsforums.com had once again logged me off. Maybe it's just you? :rolleyes:

It looks like another member is having similar problems: see the thread in feedback.

1. Why do cookies expire early on Firefox 3?

Cookies can expire early on Firefox 3 due to a variety of reasons, such as incorrect browser settings, outdated browser version, or conflicts with other extensions or add-ons. It is also possible that the website you are visiting has set a shorter expiration time for their cookies.

2. How can I change the expiration time for cookies on Firefox 3?

To change the expiration time for cookies on Firefox 3, you can go to the browser's settings and adjust the privacy and security settings. Alternatively, you can also use browser extensions or add-ons that allow you to customize cookie settings.

3. Will clearing cookies on Firefox 3 fix the issue of early expiration?

Clearing cookies on Firefox 3 can potentially fix the issue of early expiration, especially if the problem was caused by corrupted or outdated cookies. However, if the issue persists, it is recommended to check other possible causes such as browser settings or conflicts with extensions.

4. Can a website control when their cookies expire on Firefox 3?

Yes, a website can set the expiration time for their cookies on Firefox 3. This can be done through the use of HTTP headers or through JavaScript code. However, the user's browser settings and preferences can also affect the expiration time of cookies.

5. Are there any known bugs or glitches causing cookies to expire early on Firefox 3?

There have been some reported bugs and glitches causing cookies to expire early on Firefox 3. These issues are usually addressed in newer versions of the browser. If you are experiencing this problem, make sure to check for any available updates for Firefox 3 or report the issue to the browser's support team.