Cool Large Scale Physics Projects

In summary, the person is looking for a physics/engineering project that can be completed in a couple of weeks and has a "wow" factor. They mention building a trebuchet as an example but are open to other ideas. Suggestions include Lord Kelvin's thunderstorm, using building shadows to make sundials, and constructing a Foucault's pendulum in a tall building. However, the person asking for suggestions is reminded to provide more information about their knowledge and available resources in order to receive more tailored and helpful suggestions.
poonintoon
Hello,

I am looking for a physics/engineering project that is doable over a couple of weeks and has a bit of wow factor. Building a trebuchet would be a good example but I would like to do something else. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use existing building shadows to make sundials to measure local sun time and date. Fix small mirrors on walls to cast spots of sunlight for the same purpose. All this teaches the sun-earth relative position and relative motions.

Foucault's pendulum could be impressive - if you have a handy stair well in a tall building. (Good publicity for your Physics Department.)

poonintoon said:
Hello,

I am looking for a physics/engineering project that is doable over a couple of weeks and has a bit of wow factor. Building a trebuchet would be a good example but I would like to do something else. Any ideas?

Thanks.

We get question of this type rather often, and I am always puzzled why people who asked such questions never bother to explain what type of knowledge he/she possessed, and what kind of resources were available for him/her to use!

A lot of what can and cannot be done are intimately tied to those two factors. It is a waste of time and effort to suggest something, only to get a reply that "Oh, I don't have the money to get such-and-such" or "Oh, I'm still in Middle School and have no idea what you're talking about".

So please include what you know, and what are available for you to use in this project, and any other relevant information that you think someone who doesn't know you and doesn't know your situation would need to know.

Zz.

1. What is a cool large scale physics project?

A cool large scale physics project is a research or experimental undertaking that involves studying and understanding the physical properties and phenomena of large-scale systems. These systems can include anything from the universe and galaxies to the Earth and its atmosphere, as well as man-made structures like buildings and bridges.

2. Why are large scale physics projects important?

Large scale physics projects are important because they allow scientists to study and understand complex systems that cannot be fully replicated or observed in a laboratory setting. They also help us gain a better understanding of the laws and principles that govern our world and universe, and can lead to advancements in technology and innovation.

3. What are some examples of cool large scale physics projects?

Some examples of cool large scale physics projects include the Large Hadron Collider, which studies the smallest particles in the universe, the Sloan Digital Sky Survey, which maps the universe and its galaxies, and the International Space Station, which conducts various experiments in microgravity.

4. How are large scale physics projects conducted?

Large scale physics projects are typically conducted through a combination of theoretical and experimental research methods. Scientists use mathematical models and simulations to make predictions and test hypotheses, while also conducting experiments and observations in the real world. These projects often require collaboration between multiple teams and institutions.

5. What are some potential benefits of large scale physics projects?

Large scale physics projects have the potential to bring about a wide range of benefits, including advancements in technology, improvements in our understanding of the universe and its origins, and potential solutions to pressing global issues such as climate change and renewable energy. These projects also provide opportunities for international collaboration and the development of new technologies and techniques.