Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Cooper-Pair Density Near A Conductor's surface

1. Sep 16, 2016 #1
    I read that niobium metal has a Cooper-pair density of about 10^22 per cubic centimeter. However, when a current flows through a superconductor my understanding is that it all flows near the surface, beginning at the London penetration depth, which is a very small distance.

So, let's say that you have a 10 cm. long piece of (circular) niobium rod with a cross-sectional area of 1 cm. Once a supercurrent begins flowing would all, or most, of the Cooper-pairs throughout the bulk of the rod migrate to the surface region? And, if so, how deep would this surface region be where the Cooper-pair current flows? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2016 #2

DrDu

Science Advisor

No, the density of the cooper pairs remains practically constant. What changes is the phase of the Cooper Wavefunction near the surface so that the cooper pairs have a higher velocity near the surface than in the interior of the conductor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted