Relationship between line current & surface current density

In summary, the conversation discusses a configuration with axial symmetry where a line current flows along the z-axis and is returned at radii a and b. The current densities in these regions are given by Kza and Kzb, respectively, with Kza being twice the value of Kzb. The equations for Kza and H (the magnetic field) are derived using various integrals and assumptions about the current distribution.
QuantumDuality

Homework Statement

In a configuration having axial symmetry about the z axis, a line current I
flows in the −z direction along the z axis. This current is returned at the
radii a and b, where there are uniform surface current densities Kza and
Kzb , respectively. The current density is zero in the regions 0 < r < b, b <
r < a and a < r.

(a) Given that Kza = 2Kzb , show that Kza= I/π(2a + b).
(b) Show that H is:
-I/2πr for 0<r<b
-Ia/πr(2a+b) for b < r < a

Homework Equations

I = lim|J|→∞ A→0S J ⋅da (1)
2 π r K⋅ in≈ ∫S J⋅da (2)
cH⋅ds = ∫S J ⋅da (3)
Kza = 2Kzb

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
To get Kza, I used ∫S J ⋅da on the region a < r.
Because there is not current density on this region, the only contribution to the integral comes form the surface current densities, using (2):

S J ⋅da = 2π( b Kzb + aKza )

Substituting the value of Kza:

S J ⋅da = 2πKzb( b + 2 a)

As the problem is talking about Line current and surface current densities, I am assuming is a tick wire, but that is length is much bigger than its thickness. Therefore, (I think) I can equate (1) and (2)

2πKzb( b + 2 a) = I

Kzb = I/2π(2a + b)
Kza = I/π(2a + b)For answer (b), On the region r < b, the only contribution to the magnetic field comes from -I, therefore:
cH⋅ds = - I
H = -I/2πr i for r < b

For the region b < r < a, the contribution to the integral should come from the surface current density for r = b and I, therefore:

H = (bKzb/r -I/2πr) iφ for b < r < a
H = (bI/2π(a+b)r -I/2πr) iφ for b < r < a

I don't understand why for b < r < a Kza should be taken into account, because r doesn't necessarily have to be near a

Physics news on Phys.org
Having a hard time seeing the setup.

1. What is the relationship between line current and surface current density?

The relationship between line current and surface current density is that the line current is directly proportional to the surface current density. This means that as the line current increases, the surface current density will also increase. Similarly, if the line current decreases, the surface current density will also decrease.

2. How does the surface current density affect the line current?

The surface current density affects the line current by determining the amount of current that flows through a specific area. A higher surface current density means that more current is flowing through a given area, which in turn increases the line current. On the other hand, a lower surface current density will result in a decrease in line current.

3. What factors affect the relationship between line current and surface current density?

There are several factors that can affect the relationship between line current and surface current density. These include the resistance of the material, the cross-sectional area of the conductor, and the distance between the conductor and the surface. Additionally, the type of current (AC or DC) and the frequency of the current can also impact this relationship.

4. How is the relationship between line current and surface current density expressed mathematically?

The relationship between line current and surface current density can be expressed using the formula J = I/A, where J represents the surface current density, I represents the line current, and A represents the cross-sectional area of the conductor. This formula shows that the surface current density is inversely proportional to the cross-sectional area, meaning that as the area increases, the surface current density decreases.

5. Why is the concept of surface current density important in understanding electrical circuits?

The concept of surface current density is important in understanding electrical circuits because it helps us calculate the amount of current flowing through a specific area. This is crucial in determining the efficiency of a circuit and ensuring that the conductors can handle the amount of current passing through them without overheating. Additionally, understanding the relationship between line current and surface current density allows us to make informed decisions when designing and troubleshooting electrical systems.