A Question related to triangle and centroid .

In summary: So I think this method is the best.In summary, the question asks to find the difference between the squares of the sides BC and AB of an acute triangle △ABC, given that points D, E, F are midpoints of sides BC, CA, and AB respectively, and G is the centroid of △ABC. Using the properties of centroids, the areas of sub-triangles AFG, BFG, and others are found to be equal. By drawing perpendiculars and using Pythagoras theorem, the lengths of sides BC and AB are calculated to be 14 and 13 respectively, and the difference between their squares is 27.
agoogler

Homework Statement

The following is a geometry question I can't seem to get. "Consider an acute angle △ABC. Points D, E, F are mid points of sides BC, CA and AB respectively. G is the centroid of △ABC. Area of △AFG = 14, EC = 15/2. Perpendicular distance of F from BC = 6. Find BC2−AB2 "

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is the figure that I have drawn -
vXUkm.png

From EC =15/2 I get AE=15/2 So AC =15 . But what now? How can I utilize the fact that FK=6 and Area(AFG)=14 in finding BC2−AB2 ?

Is Area of AFG = Area of FGB = Area of GBD ... ? If so then area of ABC 14*6=84 . Is that right ? Then altitude from A = 6*2=12 Thus BC = 84/6 = 14 . But how to figure out AB ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint 1: ΔAGB, ΔBGC, and ΔCGA all have the same area. (This is a property of centroids)
Hint 2: ΔAGF and ΔBGF have the same base (AF=BF) and height.

Junaid Mansuri

junaid314159 said:
Hint 1: ΔAGB, ΔBGC, and ΔCGA all have the same area. (This is a property of centroids)
Hint 2: ΔAGF and ΔBGF have the same base (AF=BF) and height.

Junaid Mansuri
Thanks !
Let me answer my own question :
Consider triangles AFG and BFG . They have equal bases ( AF=BF , since F is midpoint. ) They also have equal corresponding heights ( Since they have a common vertex at G ) . So their areas are equal. Similarly areas of all the sub-triangles ( BGD , CGD ...) are equal. Thus they all have area of 14 . So the area of whole triangle ABC = 6 *14 ( since there are 6 sub-triangles ) = 84.

Now draw AL perpendicular to BC . Triangle BFK ~ ( similar ) Triangle BAL . But AB/BF=2 thus AL/FK=2 and AL=2*6=12 . Now Area of triangle ABC = 1/2 * base BC * height AL . But we already know that area is 84 , thus 84=1/2*BC*12 and BC = 14 .

In triangle ALC , by Pythagoras theorem CL2=225−144 ( Given EC=15/2 thus AC =15 ) . Thus CL=9. Then BL=BC-CL = 14-9=5 . Now in triangle ABL , by Pythagoras theorem AB2=AL2+BL2=122+52 Thus AB=13. Now BC2−AB2=196−169=27.

Is this correct? Also is there any simpler way to get the answer ?

Last edited:
Wow. I'm speechless. I think the way you solved it is excellent. There is a small typo. I think you meant to say: CL^2 = 225 − 144 but you still got CL = 9 which is correct. One way to check your answer is to plug in the sides: 13, 14, 15 into Heron's Formula and see if you get 84. Not sure if there is an easier way.

junaid314159 said:
Wow. I'm speechless. I think the way you solved it is excellent. There is a small typo. I think you meant to say: CL^2 = 225 − 144 but you still got CL = 9 which is correct. One way to check your answer is to plug in the sides: 13, 14, 15 into Heron's Formula and see if you get 84. Not sure if there is an easier way.
Thanks for correcting my mistake ! Yes I meant 225-144 . I checked it using Heron's formula and it checks out ! ( Excellent method to check the answer by the way ) . I noticed that I could use AB2=BC2 + AC2-2*BC*CL ( Law of cosines ) since it is an acute angled triangle . But it will take nearly same amount of efforts .

1. What is a centroid in a triangle?

A centroid is the point of intersection of the three medians of a triangle. It is also known as the center of gravity or the center of mass of the triangle.

2. How do you find the centroid of a triangle?

To find the centroid of a triangle, you can use the formula (x,y) = ((x1 + x2 + x3)/3 , (y1 + y2 + y3)/3), where (x1,y1), (x2,y2), and (x3,y3) are the coordinates of the three vertices of the triangle.

3. What is the importance of the centroid in a triangle?

The centroid is important because it divides each median in a 2:1 ratio, which means that it divides the triangle into six smaller triangles with equal areas. It is also used in various geometric proofs and constructions.

4. Can a triangle have its centroid outside the triangle?

No, the centroid of a triangle always lies inside the triangle. This is because the medians of a triangle always intersect inside the triangle, and the centroid is the point of intersection of the medians.

5. How is the centroid of a triangle related to its area?

The centroid of a triangle divides each median in a 2:1 ratio, which means that the distance from the centroid to the midpoint of a side is half the length of the median. This ratio is also true for the areas of the smaller triangles formed by the centroid, meaning that the centroid divides the triangle's overall area in a 2:1 ratio as well.