1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Question related to triangle and centroid .

1. Aug 10, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The following is a geometry question I can't seem to get. "Consider an acute angle △ABC. Points D, E, F are mid points of sides BC, CA and AB respectively. G is the centroid of △ABC. Area of △AFG = 14, EC = 15/2. Perpendicular distance of F from BC = 6. Find BC2−AB2 "

2. Relevant equations

-

3. The attempt at a solution

Here is the figure that I have drawn -
    vXUkm.png

From EC =15/2 I get AE=15/2 So AC =15 . But what now? How can I utilize the fact that FK=6 and Area(AFG)=14 in finding BC2−AB2 ?

Is Area of AFG = Area of FGB = Area of GBD ... ? If so then area of ABC 14*6=84 . Is that right ? Then altitude from A = 6*2=12 Thus BC = 84/6 = 14 . But how to figure out AB ?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2013 #2
    Hint 1: ΔAGB, ΔBGC, and ΔCGA all have the same area. (This is a property of centroids)
    Hint 2: ΔAGF and ΔBGF have the same base (AF=BF) and height.

Junaid Mansuri

4. Aug 10, 2013 #3
    Thanks !
    Let me answer my own question :
    Consider triangles AFG and BFG . They have equal bases ( AF=BF , since F is midpoint. ) They also have equal corresponding heights ( Since they have a common vertex at G ) . So their areas are equal. Similarly areas of all the sub-triangles ( BGD , CGD ...) are equal. Thus they all have area of 14 . So the area of whole triangle ABC = 6 *14 ( since there are 6 sub-triangles ) = 84.

Now draw AL perpendicular to BC . Triangle BFK ~ ( similar ) Triangle BAL . But AB/BF=2 thus AL/FK=2 and AL=2*6=12 . Now Area of triangle ABC = 1/2 * base BC * height AL . But we already know that area is 84 , thus 84=1/2*BC*12 and BC = 14 .

In triangle ALC , by Pythagoras theorem CL2=225−144 ( Given EC=15/2 thus AC =15 ) . Thus CL=9. Then BL=BC-CL = 14-9=5 . Now in triangle ABL , by Pythagoras theorem AB2=AL2+BL2=122+52 Thus AB=13. Now BC2−AB2=196−169=27.

Is this correct? Also is there any simpler way to get the answer ?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  5. Aug 10, 2013 #4
    Wow. I'm speechless. I think the way you solved it is excellent. There is a small typo. I think you meant to say: CL^2 = 225 − 144 but you still got CL = 9 which is correct. One way to check your answer is to plug in the sides: 13, 14, 15 into Heron's Formula and see if you get 84. Not sure if there is an easier way.

6. Aug 10, 2013 #5
    Thanks for correcting my mistake ! Yes I meant 225-144 . I checked it using Heron's formula and it checks out ! ( Excellent method to check the answer by the way ) . I noticed that I could use AB2=BC2 + AC2-2*BC*CL ( Law of cosines ) since it is an acute angled triangle . But it will take nearly same amount of efforts .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted