Coordinates of the centroid of the lamina - problem with finding limits

In summary, the question is asking for the coordinates of the centroid of a uniform lamina enclosed by the curve y=1-x^2 in the first quadrant. The limits for this equation are from x (or y) = 0 to where the curve crosses the axis. The previous question also gave the limits, but indicated that the x and y axes are in the first quadrant. However, this does not make sense and it is more likely that the region under the curve and in the first quadrant is being referred to.
Matthias85

Homework Statement

The question asks me to find the coordinates of the centroid of a uniform lamina enclosed by curve y=1-x^2.
X axis and Y axis are in the 1st quadrant.

Can you please tell me how to work out the limit for this equation?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Matthias85! :wink:

Show us what method you're using, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

Thanks for quick reply.
I am not using any method as I have no idea how to workout limits.

Previous question gave me limits, this says that x-axis and y-axis are in the 1st quadrant instead.

Matthias85 said:
The question asks me to find the coordinates of the centroid of a uniform lamina enclosed by curve y=1-x^2.
X axis and Y axis are in the 1st quadrant.
Matthias85 said:
Previous question gave me limits, this says that x-axis and y-axis are in the 1st quadrant instead.

ah, no, that doesn't make sense :redface:

i think it must mean "the region under y=1-x2 and in the first quadrant" (so its other two edges are the x and y axes) …

so the limits are from x (or y) = 0 to where that curve crosses the axis :wink:

1. What is the centroid of a lamina?

The centroid of a lamina is the point at which the entire area of the lamina can be considered to be concentrated or balanced. It is the geometric center of the lamina and is a key point in determining its overall properties.

2. How are the coordinates of the centroid of a lamina calculated?

The coordinates of the centroid can be calculated by taking the weighted average of the coordinates of all the points on the lamina. This means multiplying the coordinates of each point by its respective area and then dividing the sum of these products by the total area of the lamina.

3. What are the limits of integration when finding the centroid of a lamina?

The limits of integration depend on the shape of the lamina. For simple shapes such as rectangles, triangles, and circles, the limits are constant and can be easily determined. For more complex shapes, the limits may need to be divided into smaller regions and integrated separately.

4. What can cause problems when finding the centroid of a lamina?

One common problem is when the lamina has holes or cutouts. In this case, the centroid will not be located within the lamina and the limits of integration will need to be adjusted accordingly. Another problem can arise when the lamina has irregular or non-uniform density, as this will affect the calculation of the centroid.

5. How can I check if I have correctly calculated the centroid of a lamina?

You can check your calculations by using the parallel axis theorem. This theorem states that the moment of inertia of a lamina about any axis can be calculated by adding the moment of inertia about the centroid (which is easier to calculate) and the product of the area and the square of the distance between the centroid and the new axis. If your calculations are correct, this theorem should hold true.